Last modified: 2021-02-06 by rob raeside
Keywords: sedgley | staffordshire |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Pete Loeser, 2 February 2021
based on this photo located by Philip 'Doc' Tibbetts, 7 January 2009 (source )
In this page:
Sedgley is located at 52'-32" North, 02'-07" West, on the western edge of the Metropolitan Borough of Dudley, in the West Midlands, in the geographical area known as the Black Country, which stretches over a number of local government areas.
In pre-Norman times, the manor of Sedgley formed part of the Anglo-Saxon Kingdom of Mercia in the Hundred of Seisdon. It later became part of the County of Staffordshire. In 1844, the Sedgley manor consisted of nine hamlets: Sedgley, Coseley, Upper & Lower Gornal, Gospel End, Woodsetton, Cotwall End, Ettingshall and Brierley (now called Bradley). Today, it is a semi-urban sprawl, with a number of large housing estates and shopping centred on the old village centres.
For more details: Sedgley Local History Organization.
Colin Dobson, 20 August 2006
Sedgley Business & Community Association organised the production of a flag for Sedgley, which was raised on the morning of Saturday 10th December 2005 by the 1st Sedgley Scout group, outside a supermarket in Dudley Street, the centre of the local shopping area.
The flag is made from forty square feet of material and is white. On the centre of the flag is a logo identical to that of the former Sedgley Urban District Council, save that it now says "SEDGLEY" in block capitals at the top of the badge. The badge is circular and contains as its central element a local landmark, rebuilt for astronomical purposes in 1846, The Beacon Tower. (This device also appears on the crest of the arms of Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council, of which Sedgley is a part.) This is surrounded by a blue annulus edged with rope and a lock barrel, as used in safe making. At the base are two pen nibs and the Stafford Knot, more commonly known as the Staffordshire Knot. The pen nibs represent the village's claim to the invention of steel nib, a prominent local industry around 1800. The flag is double-sided, that is the badge appears the correct way around on both the reverse and the obverse of the flag. It is to be flown every day, except on "special occasions", when the Union Flag will be raised instead.