This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Société Anonyme des Pêcheries Pleven (Fishing company, France)

Last modified: 2013-04-04 by peter hans van den muijzenberg
Keywords: pecheries pleven | saint-malo | letters: sapp (white) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Pleven house flag]

House flag of Pêcheries Pleven - Image by Ivan Sache, 26 August 2012

See also:

Presentation of Pêcheries Pleven

Pierre Pleven (1892-1970; biography) captained in the 1920s ships from the Icelandic fleet of the shipowner Hurel, based in Bordeaux. In 1930, a purchased the three-master Immaculée Conception, built in Binic in 1921. Two years later, he purchased the Père Pierre, built in Saint-Malo in 1920. Pleven chartered in 1926 the steam trawler Alfred, built in Nantes in 1926. In 1936, Pleven sold the Immaculée Conception and the Père Pierre and purchased the four-master Zazpiakbat, 60 m in length and equipped with a steel hull and refrigerated rooms. Zazpiakbat is the name of the traditional Basque coat of arms, from a Basque word meaning "the seven [provinces] are united into one"; the ship was originally owned by the Légasse family, based in Bayonne, and sailed under the flag of the Société Anonyme des Armements Français Coloniaux. The Alfred and the Zazpiakbat were lost during the Second World War.

Pleven was granted in 1948 the Colonel Pleven, built in Quincy, Massachusetts, to repair war damages. The fleet was increased and modernized, with the purchase of the Capitaine Pleven (1951), of the Alex Pleven (1985, the first trawler in Saint-Malo equipped with a covered dock), of the Colonel Pleven II (1962, the first trawler in France for rear fishing, with salting and deep-freezing equipment), of the Pierre Pleven (1966, the sister-ship of the Colonel Pleven, but with a more powerful motor), and of the Heureux (purchased in 1969 from SAPI, renamed Joseph Roty and eventually sold in 1974).
Victor Pleven was succeeded in 1970 by his son-in-law, Yves Legrand. The company acquired three multitask factory trawlers, the Victor Pleven (1971), the Capitaine Pleven II (1974, wrecked in April 1991 in the Galway Bay), and the Joseph Roty II (1974).

In 1977, following the drastic decrease of the cod fishing quotas in Newfoundland, the new director of the company, Fernand Leborgne, reallocated the Colonel Pleven II and the Pierre Pleven to rock lobster fishing off Africa; the operation failed and the two ships were sold in 1978.
In 1982, Leborgne incorporated Pleven into the newly created Comapêche (history). The fleet was increased with the Grande Hermine, built in 1985 in Saint-Malo. Comap&ecric;che founded in 1988 Unifipêche, dedicated to shrimp fishing in French Guyana, and was renamed in 2004 Compagnie des Pêches de Saint-Malo (website), operating three trawlers, the Joseph Roty II, the Grande Hermine and the Ocean Tiger.

Ivan Sache, 12 September 2012

House flag of Pêcheries Pleven

The house flag of Pleven is quartered by a white cross, blue with a red canton charged with the white letters "SAPP". The flag is, obviously, derived from the flag of Saint-Malo.
The flags is used as the funnel marking, as evidenced by ship photos (Victor Pleven, 1990; Capitaine Pleven, 1990).

Ivan Sache, 12 September 2012

Dubious representaiton of the flag

[Pleven house flag]

Dubious flag of Pêcheries Pleven - Image by Ivan Sache, 26 August 2012

D. Kervella and M. Bodlore-Penlaez (Guide des drapeaux bretons et celtes) show the flag with the fourth quarter red, which is most probably a colour error.

Ivan Sache, 12 September 2012