This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Levallois-Perret (Municipality, Hauts-de-Seine, France)

Last modified: 2017-08-12 by ivan sache
Keywords: levallois-perret |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Levallois-Perret - Image by Arnaud Leroy, 13 October 2002

See also:

Presentation of Levallois-Perret

The municipality of Levallois-Perret (63,225 inhabitants in 2007, 242 ha; municipal website

) is bordering Paris in its north-west.

In the beginning of the 19th century, agricultural and fallow lands located on the municipalities of Neuilly and Clichy, formerly a domain the Royal abbey of St. Denis, were owned by a dozen of landowners. In 1822, landowner Jean-Jacques Perret divided 20 hectares of land into plots for sale. Belonging to Neuilly, the area was named "Champ-Perret" (Perret's Field). In 1845, another landowner, M. Noël, sold his land to Nicolas-Eugène Levallois. A village was set up: in 1854, the railway from Paris reached the village, where a church and a market were built in 1854 and 1858, respectively. Street lighting was installed in 1855.
The industrial development of Levallois-Perret started in 1860 when the perfumer Antonin Raynaud built there the Oriza perfumery, quickly followed by the perfumery Roger-et-Gallet.
On 30 June 1866, Emperor Napoléon III signed the Law creating the municipality of Levallois-Perret. The first municipal election took place in 1871. The city hall was inaugurated on 27 March 1898. In 1866, Gustave Eiffel (1832-1923) opened in Levallois-Perret the workshops where most of the elements of his Tower were forged. A few years later, Louis Blériot (1872-1936) built his first (aero)plane in Levallois-Perret, and the manufacturer Clément Bayard opened a big factory producing bikes, motorcycles, planes, dirigibles and cars.

Ivan Sache, 13 October 2002

Municipal flag of Levallois-Perret

The flag of Levallois-Perret, as communicated by the municipal administration, is white with the municipal coat of arms placed in the middle of the flag, surmounted by VILLE DE / LEVALLOIS - PERRET, in black letters.

The coat of arms of Levallois-Perret is "Gules on a bend argent between in chief a censer and in base a cog-wheel or three bees bendwise of the field". It symbolizes the development of the town, showing a censer for perfumery and a cogwheel for manufacturing industry. The bees symbolize work; they probably also refer to the creation of the municipality by Napoléon III.

Ivan Sache, 27 February 2010