Last modified: 2021-01-30 by ivan sache
Keywords: lambersart |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Lambersart - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 8 July 2007
The municipality of Lambersart (27,649 inhabitants in 2017; 616 ha; municipal website) is located just north of Lille.
Lambersart was first mentioned, as Lambertisartum, in 1011, when Baudry, Bishop of Tournai, established the altar (parish) of Lambersart and granted it to the St. Peter collegiate church in Lille. The names of the place refers to a clearing (sart, a root commonly found in toponyms of northern France and Belgium, also common elsewhere in France as essart or essert) made by a Lambertus.
Lambersart remained a small rural village until the industrial revolution, which suppressed most remains of its previous history, except a milestone dated 1670 and the ruins of the Colysée Royal, a landscaped garden designed in 1787 for the Prince of Soubise, Governor of Flanders. The old farms were replaced by estates and manors built in eclectic style at the end of the 19th century and in Art Déco style in the first decades of the 20th century by the successful industrialists. The street heading to the horse track is considered as the mot beautiful street in Greater Lille thanks to the estates that line it; Villa Saint-Charles (designed in 1894 by Victor Mollet), Villa Saint-Georges (designed in 1893 by Albert Baert); Villa Saez (designed in 1933 by Marcel Boudin, a student of Rob Mallet-Stevens).
The garden-workers' estate known as Cité Familiale was established between 1929 and 1935 by the architect Paul Vilain to house workers' families. Composed of ten pavilions, it housed families with an average of 10 children each.
Ivan Sache, 8 July 2020
The flag of Lambersart (photo) is white with the municipal logo.
The logo was unveiled in December 2012, replacing a logo adopted more than 20 years before and amended 5 years before. The new logo was designed, as an "harmonious combination", by the Communication Department of the municipality.
A stylized tree.
In Art Déco style, the tree evokes the town's heritage, including some estates registered as historical monuments and stained glass-windows, but is also very modern. The stylized heart placed within the tree still means that the human being is the municipality's central concern.
Five colors, five meanings.
Light green and dark green: The 5,500 trees planted in the town, its parks and so pleasant environment, care taken for the Earth's preservation.
Red: Local bricks and the town's architectural heritage. Over the recent years, a particular attention was paid to heritage's preservation through a ZPPAUP [Zone de protection du patrimoine architectural, urbain et paysager; Zone of protected architectural, urban and landscape heritage], with duties for everyone in case of building or renovation. This heritage is highlighted through visits, exhibitions, conferences and Heritage Days.
Beige: The stone of some buildings, also wood. This color also evokes sweetness, warmth, tranquillity, ans also modernity, for instance of the Colysée.
Blue: Water of river Deûle. Its rivers and banks are a pole of attraction for the town's inhabitants who enjoy sun here. The place was highlighted by the establishment of a beach and the Deûle Center of Interpretation of Lambersart.
A new signature, "Lambersart naturellement".
"Naturellement" as an adverb has three meanings.
- all the town's advantages, like greenness, quietness, heritage and services that make life easier;
- Lambersart is one of the town of Greater Lille with the most present natural environment;
- "natural", as caring for a simple and serene life.
[Lambersart passionnément, 2 December 2012]
Olivier Touzeau & Ivan Sache, 9 July 2020