This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Haute-Marne (Department, France): Yacht clubs

Last modified: 2010-11-13 by ivan sache
Keywords: haute-marne | der | letters: cyd (red) | letters: cyd (white) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

See also:

Yachting Club du Der

[Burgee of the YCD]         [Burgee of the YCD]

Burgee of the CNBPP, left, today's version, right, former version - Images by Ivan Sache, 3 January 2010

Yachting Club du Der (YCD), founded on 27 March 1958, is based at Port de Nemours, municipality of Sainte-Livière.

Inaugurated in 1974, Lake Der (aka Lake Der-Chantecoq; 4,800 ha, therefore the largest man-made lake in Europe by its area) was started in 1967 as a reservoir aimed at regulating river Marne, responsible (via the Seine) of catastrophic floodings in Paris, for instance in 1910 and 1924. Built on the site of the former, smaller Reservoir of Champaubert-aux-Bois, the lake required the flooding of the three villages of Chantecoq, Nuisement-aux-Bois and Champaubert-aux-Bois. The church of Champaubert, located on the Giffaumont-Champaubert Paeninsula, is the only component of the three villages still visible on its original site, while the church of Nuisement has been transported and rebuit as it was before in the new village of Sainte- Marie-du-Lac-Nuisement.
Lake Der is a main birdspotting place, being enjoyed by waterfowl, especially common cranes. Some 250 other bird species can also be seen. The management of the lake attempts to preserve a good balance between nature conservation and outdoor sports, which are practiced in prescribed areas. Navigation is possible from March to September.

YCD, founded as Yacht Club du Der organized its first regatta in June 1958 on Reservoir of Champaubert ("Smaller Der") and was allowed to build a club house in 1960. The club's yachting school was founded in 1965. In 1974, YCD moved to the new Lake Der ("Greater Der") and merged its sports and leisure sections - and adopted its current name, if I understand correctly. With 300 members, YCD was one of the biggest yacht clubs in eastern France.
In 1982, the club organized the first Tour of Der, enjoyed by 80 windsurfers from all over France. YCD built its new club house at Port de Nemours in 1989, the port being revamped in 2003 by the Lake Der Authority. In 2008, YCD celebrated its 50th anniversary by building a beacon on the port's wharf.

The burgee of YCD, as shown graphically on the club's website, is blue with two yellow and red triangles placed along the hoist and the white writing "CYD", the "Y" bigger, placed in the blue field.
Another graphic seems to indicate that the original burgee of YCD was white with two blue triangles placed along the hoist and the red writing "CYD", the "Y" bigger, placed in the white field.

Ivan Sache, 16 July 2002