This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Les Touches (Municipality, Loire-Atlantique, France)

Last modified: 2021-06-11 by ivan sache
Keywords: les touches |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag]         [Flag]

Flag of Les Touches, current (use not confirmed) and former flag - Images by Olivier Touzeau, 24 May 2021

See also:

Presentation of Les Touches

The municipality of Les Touches (2,476 inhabitants in 2018; 3,515 ha; municipal website) is located 30 km north of Nantes.

Les Touches was already settled in the Neolithic, as evidences by cut flint stones found on Mont Juillet; in 1916, a farmer excavated 24 axes in La Gérarderie, symmetrically ordered.
Mont Juillet (Mount July) is said to have been used as a watch post by the Romans, who named it to honor Caesar. While this belief is not backed up by any evidence, pieces of Gallo-Roman pottery were found in Petit-Mars, then a village of certain significance. Roman crockery was found in a well in La Réauté, now kept at the Dobrée Museum in Nantes with the neolithic axes. The village was crossed by two Roman roads.

Les Touches emerged after clearing of the woods surrounding Nort-sur-Erdre; "touches" means "small woods", and several hamlets are still named for former woods ("bois"): Bois Suchard, Bois Geffray, Bois Nouveau; Hauts Bois. First mentioned in 1287, the parish of Les Touches belonged until the French Revolution to the lords of Petit-Mars.

Ivan Sache, 25 May 2021

Flag of Les Touches

The official projet of a new Town Hall shows a white flag with the municipal logo adoprted in 2019 (image). The former flag was white with the former municipal logo (photo).

The logo features the village's landmark, the calvary (photo) erected in 1926 on Mont Juillet on the foundations of an old windmill, and renovated in 2004.
The former logo also features the parish church of Les Touches. Around 1832, parish Thomas Robert decided to rebuild the church, deemed too small and dilapidated. The building of the new church was initiated in 1848 and completed three years later. Around 1895, the church was once again increased and its spire was replaced. The new church was consecrated on 5 July 1898.
[Parish website]

Olivier Touzeau & Ivan Sache, 25 May 2021