Last modified: 2020-09-12 by ivan sache
Keywords: saint-chamond |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Saint-Chamond - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 11 May 2020
The municipality of Saint-Chamond (34,967 inhabitants in 2017; 5,488 ha) developed on the tow banks of river Gier, between the Monts du Lyonnais to the north and Mont Pilat to the south. The regional iron and coal mines were the basis of the town's industrial growth during the 19th and 20th centuries. When many of the mines and factories closed in the late 20th century due to restructuring, there was a loss of jobs and population.
Olivier Touzeau, 11 May 2020
The arms of Saint-Chamond are those of the Jarez lineage. Gaudemar de Jarez acquired in the 13th century the domain of Saint-Chamond from Briand de Lavieu. The Jarez would rule Saint-Chamond until 1344.
[Department of Loire]
Olivier Touzeau & Ivan Sache, 11 May 2020