This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Lèves (Municipality, Eure-et-Loir, France)

Last modified: 2024-03-23 by olivier touzeau
Keywords: leves | eure-et-loir |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag]         [Flag]

Flag of Lèves, two versions - Images by Olivier Touzeau, 31 March 2022

See also:

Presentation of Lèves

Lèves (5,623 inhabitants in 2021, 751 ha), is a commune in the Eure-et-Loir department, in the suburbs of Chartres.

The Pied de Fée (Fairy Foot) is a "legendary stone", located in a wood in Lèves, with a small depression in the shape of a foot.

Here is a summary of what Father Métais (1855-1912) wrote under the pseudonym of Karl du Gondré: "Bertha of Burgundy, daughter of Conrad, king of Burgundy, engaged to Count Odo of Chartres, powerful in the equal of a king, came to join her future husband. Odosent to meet her the two most powerful warriors of his court, guardians of the 2 fortresses protecting his capital: Evrard the Bold, from Levesville, and Gaslein the Invincible, from the keep of Leves." They received her not far from the mysterious Celtic mound, and paid her faith and homage. There, she wanted to climb with their help, to the top of an enormous rock to greet the dwelling of her cathedral; the rock sank, she wanted to flee, could not, invoked the Virgin. The tip of the rock was still emerging... delivered, she climbed back on her white hackney, leaving the imprint of her foot on the rock." Shortly after, her husband died and in 995 she married the King of France Robert II the Pious. Three years later, repudiated as a relative of the king, she returned to Chartres at the count's castle. It is said that she came to contemplate in secret the imprint of her footsteps, and met young girls who paid her homage, and whom she rewarded with the gold of her charity...

From 1942 to 1944, at least nine resistance fighters were shot in the Bois de Chavannes. Their names appear on nine plaques, placed at the foot of the monument which pays tribute to their memory at the very place of their assassination. The Saint-Lazare church, built from 1952 to 1957, was built with and on the ruins of the 16th century church destroyed during the battles for the Liberation of Lèves on August 16, 1944.

Olivier Touzeau, 31 March 2022

Flag of Lèves

The flag of Lèves is with coat of arms (photo, 2021; photo, 2021).

A tricolore with coat of arms has also been observed (photo, 2021).

The coat of arms, chosen by the inhabitants and adopted by the municipal council on September 21 2017, is blazoned: Gules a lion Argent, the chief Azure a sun, to dexter a mullet and to senester a rose all Or.

Olivier Touzeau, 31 March 2022