This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Pierrelatte (Municipality, Drôme, France)

Last modified: 2021-03-20 by ivan sache
Keywords: pierrelatte |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag ]         [Flag ]

Flag of Pierrelatte castle, current and former flags - Images by Olivier Touzeau, 2 September 2020

See also:

Presentation of Pierrelatte

The municipality of Pierrelatte (13,452 inhabitants in 2018; 4,956 ha) is located midway (70 km) of Valence and Avignon.

The legend says that Pierrelate rock was born from a big stone expelled by Gargantua while sitting on Mt. Ventoux for a breather. Nothing remains from the castle established on the rock, mentioned in the 13th century and extended in the 15th century, eventually demolished in 1633 upon the king's order. In the 19th century, the site was used as a quarry. Bought by the municipality at the beginning of the 20th century, it became a green theater in 1921. At its southern entrance, the old town prison, built in 1785 houses the Municipal Museum of Paleontology, Mineralogy, Archaeology and History.
Pierrelatte downtown has kept the medieval Chapel of the Penitents (12th century), the portal of the 16th century Seigneurial House, and Rue d'Amour (Love Street), a very narrow street, typical of the villages of Provence.

Pierrelatte is located on the Canal from Donzére to Mondragon, 28 km long and 130 m wide, built in the 1950s; it iis also the site of the Tricastin nuclear power plant;, inaugurated in 1958 and of a crocodile farm open to visit.

Olivier Touzeau, 2 September 2020

Flag of Pierrelatte

The flag of Pierrelatte (photo) is white with the municipal logo, which was adopted in 2016. The former flag of Pierrelatte (photo) was white with the former municipal logo.

Olivier Touzeau, 2 September 2020