This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Mehun-sur-Yèvre (Municipality, Cher, France)

Last modified: 2021-03-18 by ivan sache
Keywords: mehun-sur-yèvre |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Mehun-sur-Yèvre - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 31 October 2020

See also:

Presentation of Mehun-sur-Yèvre

The municipality of Mehun-sur-Yèvre (6,574 inhabitants in 2018; 2,445 ha) is located 20 km north-east of Bourges.

Mehun has been known since the 9th century. In the Middle Ages, the town developed around the church and the castle, passing through marriages of the Mehun family to those of Vierzon, Courtenay-Champignelles and Artois.
In the 14th century, the property of Robert III of Artois being confiscated in 1332, Mehun passed to the Crown of the Valois kings. In the 15th century, it had a third enclosure and its franchise privileges were confirmed. The building of a new residence by Duke John of Berry at the end of the 14th century contributed to the development of the arts; the arrival of the court of King Charles VII at the castle developed the economy.
The activity of the town gradually declines after the death of the sovereign. It resumed when porcelain makers were installed in the 19th century. With the arrival of Charles Pillivuyt in 1854 and the development of porcelain industry in Mehun and its region, a new town was built around factories.

Olivier Touzeau, 31 October 2020

Flag of Mehun-sur-Yèvre

The flag of Mehun-sur-Yèvre (photo is white with the municipal coat of arms, "Or a chief gules a fleur-de-lis or", and the name of the municipality in a cartouche above the chief.
A different coat of arms was ascribed in the Armorial Général, "Azure three fleurs-de-lis or a canton gules" (image).

Olivier Touzeau, 31 October 2020