This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Saint-Flour (Municipality, Cantal, France)

Last modified: 2010-11-13 by ivan sache
Keywords: cantal | saint-flour |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag of Saint-Flour]

Flag of Saint-Flour - Image by Ivan Sache, 12 November 2000

See also:

Presentation of Saint-Flour

The municipality of Saint-Flour (c. 10,000 inhabitants) is located on the edge of a basaltic plateau.
The town was founded around the grave of Saint Flour, one of the evangelists of Auvergne (IVth century). In the Middle Ages, the town was administrated by three elected Consuls.
In 1317, Saint-Flour became a bishopric, while in 1360 Jean de Berry recieved Auvergne as his apanage. The town had a great strategic importance since it was located on the border with the then English Guyenne. During this period, there were in Auvergne 19 bonnes villes ("good townsz), which had been not ruined by the wars and were allowed to send representants to the States of Auvergne. Saint-Flour was one of the six bonnes villes of Upper-Auvergne.

Ivan Sache, 12 November 2000

Flag of Saint-Flour

Saint-Flour uses a swallow-tailed gonfanon vertically divided green and white. The colours are those of the standard of the militia that protected the town in the Middle Ages.

Source: Les emblèmes de France, by Pascal Vagnat

Ivan Sache, 12 November 2000