Last modified: 2020-01-22 by ivan sache
Keywords: cabourg |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Cabourg, current and former versions - Images by Olivier Touzeau, 5 September 2019
The municipality and sea resort of Cabourg (3,965 inhabitants in 2006; 552 ha), located on the Côte Fleurie, is separated from the neighbouring town of Dives-sur-Mer by river Dives.Cabourg counted only 165 inhabitants in 1793. The village then developed mainly near the Dives. In the 19th century, the population increased until reaching 718 inhabitants in 1866.
The Grand Hôtel of Cabourg was immortalized by Marcel Proust as the Grand Hôtel of Balbec, an imaginary town very similar to Cabourg. Proust stayed at Cabourg every summer from 1907 to 1914, where he met a colourful jet-set and gambled a lot. Several elements of these stays were reused in the second part of À l'ombre des jeunes filles en fleur, published in 1918 as the second section of À la recherche du temps perdu, and in Sodome et Gomorrhe, published in 1922 as the third section of the Recherche. Earmarked for destruction, the Grand Hôtel was saved in 1956 by Bruno Coquatrix, the founder and owner of the legendary Olympia music-hall in Paris and later Mayor of Cabourg.
Olivier Touzeau & Ivan Sache, 5 September 2019
The flag of Cabourg (photo, summer 2019) is dark blue with the municipal logo adopted in 2017. The former flag (photo, summer 2014) was white with the previous logo.
Olivier Touzeau, 5 September 2019
Burgee of CYC, as seen locally (left) and as shown on the YCF list (right) - Images by Ivan Sache, 21 December 2003
Cabourg Yacht Club (CYC), founded in 1956 is based on the new marina of Cabourg, set up
in the estuary of river Dives. The burgee of CYC is horizontally
divided green-white-green with the black letters CYC in the middle of
the white stripe.
The list of the clubs affiliated to Yacht Club de France shows the burgee of CYC as green with a white border and the letters CYC in red.
Ivan Sache, 21 December 2003