This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

San Cebrián de Castro (Municipality, Castilla y León, Spain)

Last modified: 2015-01-10 by ivan sache
Keywords: san cebrián de castro | zamora |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

See also:

Presentation of San Cebrián de Castro

The municipality of San Cebrián de Castro (301 inhabitants in 2009; 6,586 ha) is located in the Zamora Province, 30 km from Zamora.

San Cebrián de Castro is located a few kilometres of the ruined castle (castro) of Castrotorafe (presentation), also known as Zamora la Vieja (Old Zamora). The castle was built close to a village, deserted long ago, to watch the bridge on river Esla, a strategic junction of roads to Castile, Léon, Galicia and Portugal. Founded in 1129 by the Zamora Charter, the settlement was probably built on the ruins of a Roman estate known as Vicus Acuarius, once located on the Silver Way (Mérida- Astorga). Subsequently transferred to the Order of Saint James, the castle was permanently ran by the Order from 1493 onwards.
Ruined at the end of the 17th century, the castle of Castrotorafe was proclaimed a national monument on 3 June 1931 and significantly restored by Zamora Province in 2005.

Ivan Sache, 24 January 2011

Symbols of San Cebrián de Castro

The flag and arms of San Cebrián de Castro are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 25 March 1999 by the Municipal Council, signed on 13 September 2002 by the Mayor, and published on 4 October 2002 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 193, p. 13,004 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: Rectangular flag, with proportions 1:1, made of two equal vertical stripes, at hoist red with a white castle masoned in black port and windows of the same, at fly white with a red Cross of Saint James.
Coat of arms: Gules a castle argent masoned sable port and windows of the same over waves azure and argent, chapé argent dexter a Cross of Saint James gules sinister three spikes vert. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown closed.

Ivan Sache, 24 January 2011