Last modified: 2020-04-02 by ivan sache
Keywords: los navalmorales |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Los Navalmorales - Image by "Asqueladd", Wikimedia Commons, 8 September 2019
The municipality of Los Navalmorales (2,567 inhabitants in 2018; 10,500 ha; municipal website) is located 75 km wouth-west of Toledo.
Los Navalmorales was onced composed of two villages separated by a brrok: Navalmoral de Toledo, which depended on Toledo, and Navalmoral de Pusa, which depended on the Marquisate of Malpica. Navalmoral de Pusa was transferred in October 1526 to San Martin Pusa and eventually granted in 1654 the status of villa by Philip IV.
The two villages were reunited in 1835 to form the municipality of Los Navalmorales de Pusa.
Ivan Sache, 10 September 2019
The flag of Los Navalmorales is prescribed by an Order issued on 21 January 2003 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and published on 3 February 2003 in the official gazette of Castilla-La Mancha, No. 14, p. 1,438 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular, one and a half longer than wide, divided in three equal, vertical stripes, the first, at hoist, green, the central white, and at hoist. The coat of arms of the town can be placed in the center.
The missing color of the third stripe, yellow, was specified in a Correction to the Order, published on 17 February 2003 in the official gazette of Castilla-La Mancha, No. 20, p. 2,179 (text).
The flag in actual use (photo, photo, photo, photo) is charged with the coat of arms.
The Royal Academy of History validated the proposed flag (without the coat of arms), pointing out that it was very similar to the flag of Ireland.
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia 200:2, 168. 2003]
The coat of arms of Los Navalmorales is prescribed by Decree No. 122, issued on 20 December 1985 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and published on 31 December 1985 in the official gazette of Castilla-La Mancha, No. 53, pp. 1,982-1,983 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Argent a doube-headed eagle white charged with a monstrance or, 2. Or three fesses vert. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
The Royal Academy of History validated the proposed arms, which are a synthesis of the local history.
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia 182:3, 579. 1985]
The arms were designed by José Luis Ruz Márquez and Ventura Leblic García, commissioned on 16 March 1982 by the Municipal Council.
Lorenzana's Relaciones report that Navalmoral de Toledo used at the end of the 18th century "arms featuring Imperial eagles and a monstrance of the Holy Sacrament, which are applied on the Town Hall". These arms show a double-headed eagle - therefore the plural form -, representing the town of Toledo and a monstrance, a charge frequently used in Spanish heraldry. The second quarter features the arms of the Rivera, lords of Valdepusa, therefore representing Navalmoral de Pusa.
[José Luis Ruz Márquez & Ventura Leblic García. Heraldica municipal de la Provincia de Toledo. 1983; Municipal website]
Ivan Sache, 8 September 2019