Last modified: 2020-11-02 by ivan sache
Keywords: caleruela |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Caleruela - Image by Ivan Sache, 8 September 2019
The municipality of Caleruela (210 ihabitants in 2018 vs. 1,119 in 1959; 942 ha; municipal website) is located 130 km west of Toledo and 50 km south-west of Plasencia.
Caleruela was already settled in the Roman times, as evidenced by two
sarcophagi excavated in April 1963 during the revamping of the parish
church. A fragment (0.63 m x 0.24 m x 0.27 m) of a granite altar
dedicated to the Celtiberian goddess Ataecina was also found. The Roman settlement was
crossed by the road connecting Emerita Augusta (Mérida) to Cartago Nova (Talavera de la Reina) and Toletum (Toledo).
After the Christian reconquest, Caleruela was incorporated to the domain of Oropesa. Caleruela was granted the status of villa in 1650 by Philip IV. In the middle of the 19th century, the villagers of La Puebla de Naciados / de Santiago, located 4 km of Caleruela and once a significant town with dependencies in El Gordo, Berrocalejo and Valdeverdeja, abandoned their village and move to Caleruela; the tradition says that their wooden houses were destroyed by parasites
Ivan Sache, 8 September 2019
The flag of Caleruela (photo) is prescribed by an Order issued on 20 January 2000 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and published on 31 January
2000 in the official gazette of Castilla-La Mancha, No. 7, p. 561 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Composed of two horizontal, parallel stripes, of equal size, the upper, yellow, the lower, green, a white triangle running from the hoist to the flag's center. Centered on the triangle, the coat of arms of Caleruela.
The yellow stripe symbolizes the non-irrigated crops.
The green stripe symbolizes the plantations and the holly oak and leather oak woods.
The white triangle represents chalk (cal), the rocky area (berrocal) that covers part of the municipal territory, and the purity of St. John, the parish's patron saint and Jesus' preferred disciple.
The coat of arms of Caleruela is prescribed by an Order issued on 20
January 2000 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and published on 31
January 2000 in the official gazette of Castilla-La Mancha, No. 7, pp.
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Azure (blue) a calvary on steps or in pale, 2. Eight roundels azure (blue) and seven argent. Grafted in base, Vert (green) an olive tree argent with the trunk eradicated proper. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
The Royal Academy of History rejected a previous proposal of coat of
arms. It is necessary that the charges featured on a coat of arms match
the graphic representations established by the use and recognized by
all. This was not the case of "a Visigoth pilaster charged with a
Visigoth cross fimbriated".
The Academy did not evaluate the proposed flag, which features the rejected coat of arms.
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia 197:1, 18. 2000]
Ivan Sache, 8 September 2019