Last modified: 2014-05-17 by ivan sache
Keywords: candelaria |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Candelaria, as seen on 2 February 2007 hoisted on the Town Hall - Image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 April 2007
The flag of Candelaria, in unofficial use, is white with the coat of arms in its centre.Klaus-Michael Schneider, 20 April 2007
The coat of arms of Candelaria is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 10 January 1958 by the Spanish Government and published on 23 January 1958 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 20, p. 717 (text).
The coat of arms, approved by the Royal Academy of History, is not described in the Decree.
José Manuel Erbez (Banderas y escudos de Canarias, 2007; website) describes the coat of arms as follows:
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. A scene made of a statue of the Virgin of Candelaria at the entrance of a cave with two Guanches prostrating before her and adorating her all proper, 2. Gules a tower proper surrounded by a wooden fence with a stone wall over waves argent and azure charged with two fish argent affronty. A bordure argent charged with four bernegales gules. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown open.
The shield depicts the legend of the Holy Virgin of Candelaria. On a summer afternoon in 1392, two herdsmen were looking out for shelter in the gorge of Chinguaro. Crossing the beach of Chimisay they noticed that their goats ran back very frightened. One herdsman saw a woman with a child in her arms thrown onto the beach by the sea. In compliance with Guanche laws that punished by death the one speaking to a woman in regions without inhabitants, the herdsman tried to drive her away without saying a word. The woman remained silent. The herdsman tried to throw a stone to her but his arm became paralyzed. The man came closer in order to hit her hand with his stick but his own hand started bleeding. Threatened, the herdsmen left the herd and ran away. The Mencey (local king) ordered to drive the herd into a cave. Since people were scared, he sent out injured men. When those came near to the woman they were cured by touching her. After this miracle, their fear disappeared. Pope Pius VI subsequently made the Virgin the patron saint of Canary Islands.
The tower and wall represent the fortifications that once defended the place. The fish symbolize the fishing port. The bernegales (pots) recall the local significance of pottery.
Klaus-Michael Schneider & Ivan Sache, 10 March 2010