This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Valdenebro (Municipality, Castilla y León, Spain)

Last modified: 2015-01-08 by ivan sache
Keywords: valdenebro | soria |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

See also:

Presentation of Valdenebro

The municipality of Valdenebro (122 inhabitants in 2010; 5,141 ha) is located in the southwest of Soria Province, 60 km from Soria. The municipality is made of the villages of Valdenebro (88 inh., capital) and Boós (34 inh.).

Valdenebro, once known as Val de Enebro, is the Valley (valle) planted with junipers (enebros). Remains of a Celtiberian citadel have been found on a hill located north-east of the village; some historians, for instance M. Blasco Jiménez (1909), believe that this citadel was Nortobrega / Nertrobriga / Nortobriga, listed by Ptolemy as the easternmost citadel inhabited by the Arevaci and shown on the Antonine Itinerary somewhere between Mérida and Saragossa; the citadel was seized by Consul Marcellus in 152 BC.

Ivan Sache, 21 May 2011

Symbols of Valdenebro

The flag and arms of Valdenebro, validated by the Royal Academy of History, are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 27 February 1992 by the Government of Castilla y León and published on 6 March 1992 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 47 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: Rectangular flag diagonally divided, the upper part purple and the lower part white. In the middle of the flag is placed the municipal coat of arms, crowned, without further addition.
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1a. Argent a juniper [enebro] vert terraced of the same, 1b. Gules a castle or port and windows azure, 2. Vert a plough argent. The shield surmounted with a Royal Spanish crown.

Ivan Sache, 21 May 2011