Last modified: 2016-03-20 by ivan sache
Keywords: la lastrilla |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The town of La Lastrilla (3,137 inhabitants in 2008; 944 ha) is located 3 km north-east of Segovia, bordering the provincial capital.
La Lastrilla must have emerged in the 10th-11th centuries, when the Christian Kings resettled the north of the Iberic Penisula. The local Muslim populations mixed with colonists from Cantabria, Basque Country and Navarre. The name of the town is the diminutive form of "lastras," referring to the soil on which the town was built. Segovia is surrounded by such "lastras," that is stony soils in which the mother limestone rock easily outcrops. The word "lastras"could be related to the Basque word "arlasta," "natural flagstones." However, the area was settled much earlier, as proved by prehistoric and Roman remains. It is believed that the stones used to build the famous Segovia aquaduct were cropped on the soil (as "bolos de granito") in San Lorenzo de Segovia and El Sotillo, the latter place being part of La Lastrilla. Mentioned for the first time in a church document dated 1247, La Lastrilla reappeared only in 1401, in the Decree regulating the use of water of the canal of river Cambrones, issued by the Noble Junta de Cabezuelas. La Lastrilla is listed as the owner of the rights on the village of Ojalvilla, which subsequently disappeared and was replaced by El Sotillo. The third historical document, dated 1533, mentions La Lastrilla as a suburb ("arrabal") of Segovia.
Source: Municipal website, historical record by Francisco Javier Mosácula María
Ivan Sache, 05 Sep 2009
The municipal flag and arms of La Lastrilla were officially unveiled on 20 August 2009, during the inauguration of the festival dedicated to St. John, the patron saint of the town. The symbols were unanimuously adopted by the Municipal Council on 26 May 2009, as one of the proposals made by the "Instituto Borbone de Heraldica Municipal" (Segovia).
The flag is square, vertically divided blue-white with the municipal coat of arms in the middle. The coat of arms is
Per pale, 1. Argent a quarryman's sledgehammer and peak sable corssed per saltire over three waves azure. 2. Azure a cross and a crescent argent. The shield surmounted by a Royal Spanish crown closed.
Municipal website, with a drawing of the coat of arms
The inauguration ceremony was reported by S. Cantalejo in "El Norte de Castilla." The flag was hoisted on the balcony of the town hall, near the flags of Spain and Castile and Léon, by the Mayor of La Lastrilla, assisted by the President of the Provincial Government of Segovia and the Territorial Delegate of the Government of Castile and Léon. On the photo of the event attached to the article, the flag does not look square but rectangular!
The article further says that the Municipal Council decided to adopt symbols since the town never had any since its secession from Segovia in 1830. The left part of the arms represent the biological and economical resources of the town. The right part is the emblem of the Noble Junta de Cabezuelas, recalling the mixed Christian and Muslim origin of the town.
Source: "El Norte de Castilla," 21 Aug 2009
Ivan Sache, 05 Sep 2009