This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Cantalpino (Municipality, Castilla y León, Spain)

Last modified: 2015-01-03 by ivan sache
Keywords: cantalpino | salamanca |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

See also:

Presentation of Cantalpino

The municipality of Cantalpino (1,025 inhabitants in 2010; 7,847 ha) is located 30 km from Salamanca.

Ivan Sache, 11 May 2011

Symbols of Cantalpino

The flag and arms (description) of Cantalpino are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 3 March 1994 by the Salamanca Provincial Government, signed on 21 March 1994 by the President of the Government, and published on 6 April 1994 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 65 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: Quadrangular, with proportions 1:1, divided in two parts by a diagonal bend running from bottom to top, white, with proportions 1:8. Upper part red and lower part green. In the middle of the flag is placed the crowned municipal coat of arms.
Coat of arms: Argent a pine proper surrounded by two wolves rampant sable, a bordure compony of 18 pieces in turn "Gules a castle or" and "Or a lion purpure armed langued and crowned". The shield surmounted with a Royal Spanish crown.

On a photo of the Mayor, the flag seems to be with 2:3 proportions instead of the prescribed 1:1; the coat of arms shown in the middle of the flag has the old coronet while it "should" (as prescribed by the Decree) be surmounted with a modern Royal Spanish crown.
Indeed, the coat of arms of Cantalpino has been used since the late 18th century. The arms are canting since each wolf cata el pino ("watches or bites the pine"). From 1636 onwards, the original shield was added a coronet and a bordure of castles and lions.

Ivan Sache, 11 May 2011