This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Herrera de Valdecañas (Municipality, Castilla y León, Spain)

Last modified: 2015-01-03 by ivan sache
Keywords: herrera de valdecañas |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Herrera de Valdecañas - Image by "Valdavia" (Wikimedia Commons), 2 February 2014

See also:

Presentation of Herrera de Valdecañas

The municipality of Herrera de Valdecañas (158 inhabitants in 2012; 2,756 ha; municipal website) in the southeast of the Palencia Province, 30 km from Palencia.

Herrera de Valdecañas is named for its iron-bearing soil (Latin, terram ferrariam) and the suffix -alia, meaning abundance. "de Valdecañas" used since the 18th century, is related to the valley of Cañas ("valle de Cañas"). Re-conquered from the Moors in the late 9th century by Alfonso III the Great, Herrera belonged in the late 11th century to the alfoz (group of villages) of Palenzuela and to the Burgos Diocese. A donation charter of the monastery of San Pedro de Arlanza dated 1052 lists Herrerueal and Valdecañas, which then included two settlements, Santa Marina and Villacentola.
The first lord of Herrera was Diego de Castilla y Sandio (1540); in 1731, the village belonged to the Count of Torquemada.

Ivan Sache, 2 February 2014

Symbols of Herrera de Valdecañas

The flag and arms of Herrera de Valdecañas are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 10 June 2005 by the Municipal Council, signed the same day by the Mayor, and published on 20 June 2005 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 118, p. 10,722 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: Flag in proportions 2:3, tierced at hoist and doubled at fly [1:2]. At fly, blue (azure) and white (or, argent), the municipal coat of arms in colour. At hoist, red (gules) the letter "H" yellow (or, or) surrounded by two castles of the same.
Coat of arms: Shield of Spanish shape, gules, a two-towered castle or port and windows azure in base waves argent and azure in chief a letter "H" or crowned with a Royal coronet of the same. A bordure compony of Castile and León. The shield surmounted with a Royal Spanish crown.

Ivan Sache, 2 February 2014