Last modified: 2014-12-29 by ivan sache
Keywords: fuentes de valdepero | palencia |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Fuentes de Valdepero - Image by "Valdavia" (Wikimedia Commons), 19 March 2011
The municipality of Fuentes de Valdepero (295 inhabitants in 2010; 4,293 ha; unofficial website) is located 10 km from Palencia.
Fuentes de Valdepero, resettled and fortified at the end of the 9th century, was mentioned for the first time on a document of the León Cathedral dated 29 March 1085, as Fuentes de Val de Pero. This document seems to nullify the popular etymology of Fuentes de Valdepero as the fountains (fuentes) located in the valley ruled by Pedro (valle de Pedro), Pedro being Pedro Ansúrez, Pedro Fernández,... A document of the Husillos monastery claims that the village, once called San Pedro de Balrrocado, was renamed Valdeemperador following a visit of King Alfonso VII "El Emperador" (The Emperor). The current written form of the village's name appeared in 1352.
The castle of Fuentes de Valdepero (website) was completely rebuilt in 1442-1465 by the Sarmiento, lords of the village. Its architecture reflects the "Valladolid style" of the time, also exemplified by the castles of Fuensaldaña, Peñafiel and Torrelobatón. In spite of being considered as the strongest in Castile, the castle was seized and sacked in January 1521 by the revolted Comuneros. In 1572, Juana de Acevedo y Fonseca, lord of Fuentes de Valdepero, was made Countess of Fuentes de Valdepero by King Philip II; Pedro Enríquez married her in 1585, taking the name of Acevedo and the title of Count of Fuentes.
Ivan Sache, 19 March 2011
The flag and arms of Fuentes de Valdepero are prescribed by a Decree
adopted on 26 April 1999 by the Palencia Provincial Government, signed on 3 May 1999 by the President of the Government, and published on 24
May 1999 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 97, p. 5,527 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Quadrangular flag with proportions 1:1, horizontally divided white-sky blue. In the middle of the flag is placed the municipal coat of arms, in full colors.
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Or a castle gules, 2. Or two wolves sable per pale, a bordure gules eight cauldrons sable fimbriated or [...]. The shield surmounted with a Royal Spanish crown.
The symbols (unofficial website) were designed by Manuel María Rodríguez de Maribona y
Dávila (document dated 4 December 1998).
The flag uses the Marian colors, as a tribute to the village's patron saint, Virgin Mary.
The municipal arms show the medieval fortress, recalled in the name of the village, and the arms of the House of Avellaneda y Delgadillo, first Counts of Castrillo.
Ivan Sache, 19 March 2011