Last modified: 2010-10-08 by eugene ipavec
Keywords: spain | galicia | lugo | burela | coat of arms | lighthouse (yellow) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
N.B.: reconstructed image, no original seen
image by Ivan Sache, 30 Jun 2007
The municipality of O Barco de Valldeoras (Spanish: "El Barco de Valldeoras;" 13,518 inhabitants in 2004; 8,570 ha) is located in eastern Galicia, in the valley of the Sil (330 m asl) surrounded by mountains (1,300 m). Known for its slate quarries and vineyards, O Barco is named after a ferry (in Spanish, "barca de pasaje," lit., passage small boat) set up by the Romans on the Via XVIII, aka Via Nova near the village of Viloira. Valldeoras, the original name of the town, was orignally Val de Giorres, to be related to the Gigurri (fide Pliny) or Egurros (fide Ptolemeus), the inhabitants of the region before the Roman conquest. In the Middle Ages, the village that had developed near the river was protected by a fortified castle, granted to the Counts of Ribadavia as a reward for their contribution to the reconquest of Granada over the Moors. O Barco was mentioned for the first time in a written document in 1578. In 1809, O Barco was the first Galician village to take the arms against the French invaders, under the leadership of the priests of the parishes of Casoyo and Millarouso.
Ivan Sache, 30 Jun 2007
Sources: Unofficial website, Unofficial blogsite
According to "La Voz de Galicia," the Council of the Government (Consello da Xunta) approved by Decree the municipal flag proposed by the Municipality of O Barco. The flag is diagonally divided per bend; the lower part of the flag is red while its upper part is horizontally divided white-sky blue, the blue stripe being twice higher than the white one. The first proposal included the municipal coat of arms in the middle of the flag, which was not retained in the final version of the flag.
Source: "La Voz de Galicia," 25 May 2007
However, the design of the flag was clearly inspired by the municipal coat of arms, which is shown and described on the municipal website. Its official blazon is:
The image of the coat of arms shown on the municipal website does not match this description, the first quarter being gules and the second argent (which matches quite well the flag, therefore the written description of the arms must be erroneous).
Anyway, the cross recalls that the Hospitallers once owned the church of O Barco and lived in the village of Jagoaza, whereas the castle recalls the Counts of Ribadavia, once owners of the town. The small boat in the lower quarter of the shield is canting for the name of the town, and recalls the old ferry that was suppressed only in 1902 when the San Fernando bridge was inaugurated.
There is no image of the flag. Here is the original Spanish text:
"La bandera barquense está dividida en diagonal desde la parte alta del asta. La parte de abajo es en color rojo y la de arriba, dividida en horizontal, con un tercio de color blanco y dos tercios de azul celeste por debajo."
Ivan Sache, 30 Jun 2007