Last modified: 2019-01-13 by ivan sache
Keywords: lorquí |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Lorquí - Image by Ivan Sache, 6 May 2015
The municipality of Lorquí (6,948 inhabitants in 2014; 1,500 ha; municipal website) is located in the center of the Region of Murcia, 15 km of Murcia. The municipality is made of the town of Lorquí and of the villages of La Anchose (65 inh.) and Los Palacios Blancos (161 inh.).
Lorquí is named for an Arab epithet meaning "from Lorca". Lorquí was
granted in 1285 to Ramón y Guillén Alemán by the King of Castile.
After the invasion of the Kingdom of Murcia by Aragón (1296-1304),
Lorquí was transferred to the Order of St. James. Despoiled in 1329,
the Order had to struggle until 1380 to recover the domain, which was
Lorquí re-emerged in the 16th century, after the fall of the Nasrid Kingdom of Granada; population increased up to 250 inhabitants. The expelling of the Moriscos in 1609 by Philip II caused a second abandon of the area. The re-settlement with Castilian and Aragonese colonists, organized by the Order of St. James, had little success.
The Rapao noria, erected in the 18th century, was registered as a National Historical Monument. The St. James parish church keeps three wooden statues made by Francisco Salzillo (1707-1783), considered as the greatest Baroque sculptor in Spain. His main works are exhibited in the Salzillo Museum in Murcia.
Ivan Sache, 6 May 2015
The flag of Lorquí (photo, photo,
photo), approved on 24 July 1986 by the Municipal Council,
is prescribed by an Order adopted on 17 June 1987 by the Government of
the Region of Murcia and published on 4 July 1987 in the official
gazette of the Region of Murcia, No. 151, p. 2,831 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: White, quadrangular, with the first and last vertical fifths red. The staff surmounted by a Royal crown or by a knob. On the white panel the coat of arms of the town.
The coat of arms of Lorqu’ is prescribed by Decree No. 1904, adopted
on 21 September 1960 by the Spanish Government and published on 12
October 1960 in the Spanish official gazette No. 245, p. 14,195 (text).
The coat of arms, which was validated by the Royal Academy of History, is not described in the Decree.
The coat of arms is "Argent a castle argent masoned and port and windows sable ensigned by a Cross of St. James gules. The shield surmounted by a coronet."
Ivan Sache, 6 May 2015