Last modified: 2017-01-04 by ivan sache
Keywords: alfarnate |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Alfarnate - Image from the Símbolos de Málaga website, 12 September 2016
The municipality of Alfarnate (1,159 inhabitants in 2015, 3,400 ha; municipal website) is located 50 km north-east of Málaga, on the border with the Province of Granada.
Alfarnate is colloquially known as Puebla de Alfarnate, its medieval name. "Puebla", the ancient word for pueblo, "a village", was used to name the settlements established on territories reconquerred from the Moors, and, subsequently, any newly established settlement.
The architecture of the village clearly demonstrates its Arab origin. Among the most emblematic monuments of Alfarnate is the former village's inn, today a restaurant-museum, which was visited by King Alfonso XIII (1886-1941, reigned 1886-1931) and the rascals Jos&ecute; María "El Tempranillo" (1805-1833) and Luis Candelas (1804-1837).
Ivan Sache, 12 September 2016
The flag and arms of Alfarnate, adopted on 2 March 2016 by the Municipal Council and submitted on 16 March 2016 to the Directorate General of the Local Administration, are prescribed by a Resolution adopted on 21 March 2016 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 28 March 2016 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 57, p. 53 (text).
The "rehabilitated" symbols are prescribed as follows:
Flag: Panel in proportions 3:2, made of two horizontal stripes, the upper, of 1/2, vert (green), the lower, of 1/2, or (yellow). Charged with the municipal coat of arms at 1/3 of the hoist.
Coat of arms: On a single quarter appears the land of Alfarnate represented in a figurative way with, on top, the mountains that surrounds the area and, in the center, brook Palancar, one of the tributaries of river Sabar. On both banks a crop (grain), vert like the banner of Vélez-Málaga, recalling the jurisdiction to which the village belongs. Over the brook a bridge or and two mill stones of floor mill argent surrounding dexter and sinister the river, as a symbolic element of the municipality featured in its toponymy. Over the bridge a building or representing the old grain barn of Alfarnate, used today as the Town Hall, symbol of the administration of the municipality. The shield surmounted by the today's Spanish Royal crown.
The symbols were selected by the inhabitants of Alfarnate. The historian Manuel Fernández submitted three proposals for the coat of arms; the two rejected proposals differ from the adopted coat of arms by the upper part of the shield, which is gules, charged either with the grain barn or the Castilian castle.
Nine proposals were submitted for the flag, all based on a combination of green and yellow fields and charged with the coat of arms.
[La Opinión de Málaga, 30 July 2015]
The municipality previously used, unofficially, a coat of arms argent featuring a picturesque representation of the village, the river and the mountains proper, in chief a chickpea plant proper. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
Ivan Sache, 12 September 2016