This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Sevilla la Nueva (Municipality, Community of Madrid, Spain)

Last modified: 2016-05-22 by ivan sache
Keywords: sevilla la nueva |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

See also:

Presentation of Sevilla la Nueva

The municipality of Sevilla la Nueva (8,858 inhabitants in 2014; 2,510 ha; municipal website) is located in the south-west of the Community of Madrid, 40 km of Madrid.

Sevilla la Nueva was established on 23 December 1544 by Antón Sevillano, with the implicit permission of the Council of Segovia. The new settlement was named "New Seville" as a tribute to the founder, a native of Seville. Without any urban nucleus, the settlement was made of a dozen of hamlets whose inhabitants shared interests. Facing the opposition of the other villages, vassals of the Count of Chinchón, and lacking a legal status, the loose foundation soon disappeared, to be re-established more firmly ten years later, on 14 April 1554. The Council of Segovia, which had won different lawsuits against the Count of Chinchón, decided to consolidate its possessions in the area. The re-foundation of Sevilla la Nueva was a solemn act, in the presence of representatives of the king, of the Council of Segovia, and of the components of the Community of the Town and Land of Segovia. The members of the Municipal Council were appointed, while the draft of the new urban nucleus was unveiled.
Sevilla la Nueva was granted the status of villa in 1629. Because of embargoes and debts, the villagers had to sell the town in 1631 to Rodrigo Pacheco Osorio, Marquis of Cerralvo, Vice Roy and Captain General of New Spain. The domain was acquired in 1643 by Francisco Beltrán de Echávarri.
During he Civil War, the old manor of Sevilla la Nueva was used by General Franco to survey the progress of the battle of Brunete.

Ivan Sache, 26 July 2015

Symbols of Sevilla la Nueva

The flag of Sevilla la Nueva (photos, photo, photo, photo, photo, photo, photo) is horizontally divided blue-white-blue (1:2:1) with the municipal coat of arms. The flag does not appear to have been officially approved.

Ivan Sache, 26 July 2015