Last modified: 2016-06-02 by ivan sache
Keywords: huelma |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Huelma - Image from the Símbolos de Jaén website, 2 December 2015
The municipality of Huelma (6,114 inhabitants in 2014; 25,029 ha; municipal website) is located in the extreme south of the Province of Jaén, 50 km of Jaén. The municipality is made of the former municipalities of Huelma and Solera (425 inh.), which were merged by Decree No. 3,586, adopted on 20 December 1974 by the Spanish Government and published on 14 January 1975 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 12, p. 778 (text).
Huelma, then known as Walma, was located on the border of the Nasrid Kingdom of Granada and of the Christian states. Accordingly, the town was often conquered and lost by the two camps. The fortress of Huelma was eventually seized in 1438 by Íñigo López de Mendoza (1398-1458), 1st Marquis of Santillana (1448), and subsequently owned by his senior son, Diego Hurtado de Mendoza (1417-1479). In 1462, Mendoza transfered the town to his son-in-law, Beltrán de la Cueva (1435-1492), as the dowry of his daughter, Mencía, who granted the domain to her father-in-law, Diego Fernández de la Cueva (1410-1473).
Solera was conquered in 1458 by Alonso Martin de Ortega, on behalf of Juan de la Cueva (d. 1474), who was made the first lord of Solera by King Henry IV. Diego de Benavides y de la Cueva (1607-1666), Vice Roy of Navarre (1653-1661) and of Peru (1661-1668) was made 1st Marquis of Solera in 1637.
Ivan Sache, 2 December 2015
The flag of Huelma (photo), adopted on 5 October 2010 by the Municipal Council and submitted on 15 October 2010 to the Directorate General of the Local Administration, is prescribed by a Resolution adopted on 25 October 2010 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 11 November 2010 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 220, p. 33 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: In proportions 2:3, diagonally divided from the hoist's upper part to the fly's lower part. The upper part, green (Pantone 341) and the lower part red (Pantone 485). In the upper quarter at fly a yellow (Pantone 116) key and in the lower quarter at hoist a yellow (Pantone 116) wall with two towers on each end.
The flag is derived from the unofficial coat of arms, "Gules a wall or masoned and port and windows sable on a base vert ensigned by a key or. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed."
[Símbolos de Jaén website]
The flag was designed by Pedro Manuel Quesada López, law graduate at the University of Jaén and Secretary General of the Asociación Cultural para la Defensa del Patrimonio Histórico Artístico de Huelma "Bernardo Moreno Quesada" (website).
Ivan Sache, 2 December 2015