Last modified: 2016-06-01 by ivan sache
Keywords: cazalilla |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Cazalilla - Image from the Símbolos de Jaén website, 15 July 2009
The municipality of Cazalilla (840 inhabitants in 2008; 4,663 ha; municipal website) is located 30 km north-west of Jaén.
The oldest settlement in Cazalilla, excavated on the Cerro del Coronilla, dates back to the Copper Age. Remains of small Iberian and Roman settlements were also found, but the village seems to have increased only during the Visigoth period. Ximena Jurado has described a writing engraved in a stone of the castle's tower, which presents Cazalilla as ruled by King Flavio Sisebuto; a big necropolis excavated near the Atalaya farm confirms this finding.
In the Moorish time, the village, named Qastalla, formed one of the 16 districts (iqlim) of the cora of Jaén. A funerary stele found in the village, bearing the name of Ben Mauro and dated 855, is among the oldest found in the Province of Jaén. The great poet Darray al-Qastalli is believed to be born in the fortress of Qastalla in 958.
After the Christian reconquest, Cazalilla was listed as a second-rank citadel. On 23 December 1471, Diego de Frías, Governor of the citadel, captured Fernando de Acuña on his way from Seville to Cazorla; the prisoner, who was the son of the Count of Buendía and the nephew of the Archbishop of Toledo, was brought to Jaén, where Constable Iranzo retained him as an hostage until granted the castle of Montizón. On 19 December 1564, King Philip II granted the title of villa to Cazalilla.
Ivan Sache, 6 August 2009
The flag and arms of Cazalilla, adopted on 11 May 1996 by the Municipal Council and validated on 3 December 1998 by the Royal Academy of Córdoba, are prescribed by Decree No. 5, adopted on 12 January 1999 by the Government of Andalusia and published on 16 February 1999 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 20, p. 1,938 (text). This was confirmed, as requested on 21 June 2004 by the Municipal Council, by a Resolution adopted on 12 July 2004 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 22 July 2004 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 143, pp. 16,325-16,326 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular, in proportions 2:3, made of four identical horizontal stripes, the upper green, the next golden yellow, the next white and the last blue. Overall centered on the flag with proportions 1/3 is placed the municipal coat of arms.
Coat of arms: Azure a tower with turrets argent masoned sable ports and windows of the same surmounted by a sun in its splendour. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
The tower recalls that the place has been of defensive vocation for the Age of Bronze until the Middle Ages. The sun could represent the dominance of the yellow colour in the local fields, mostly grown with cereals.
[Símbolos de las Entidades Locales de Andalucía. Jaén (PDF file)]
Ivan Sache, 6 August 2009