Last modified: 2015-10-18 by ivan sache
Keywords: castellar |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Castellar - Image by Ivan Sache, 26 November 1999
The municipality of Castellar (3,504 inhabitants in 2008; 15,548 ha; municipal website) is located 100 km north-east of Jaén.
Ivan Sache, 3 August 2009
The flag of Castellar is horizontally divided white-red-blue-yellow.
The colours are taken from the banner of the Brotherhood of Our Lady of the Consolation (19th century).
The coat of arms of Castellar is "Gules a tower or masoned sable surrounded by two swords agent. The shield surmounted by a crown open."
The tower makes the arms canting. The first sword recalls the first skirmishes with the Moors in the castle of Pallarés (Medinaceli Palace), which broke the truce signed in 1482. The second sword recalls the battle faught during the War of Independence (1808-1812).
Jarig Bakker & Ivan Sache, 26 November 1999