Last modified: 2016-12-20 by ivan sache
Keywords: linares de la sierra |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Linares de la Sierra - Image from the Símbolos de Huelva website, 31 August 2016
The municipality of Linares de la Sierra (272 inhabitants in 2015; 2,900 ha; municipal website) is located 120 km north-west of Huelva.
Linares was re-settled in the 13th century by Castilian and Leonese colonists. Depending of Aracena, Linares was transferred in 1640 to the Count-Duke of Olivares. After the Count's disgrace, the town was transferred to the County of Altamira.
Linares was granted the status of villa by King Ferdinand VI on 7 March 1754, separating from Aracena. The population of the village remained small, peaking at 1,021 in 1857.
Linares de la Sierra is famous for its llanos, aka alfombras (carpets). The llanos are geometrical, floral, animal or religious motifs found in the streets at the entrance of each house; they are made of blueish stones, contrasting with the white stones forming the rest of the pavement (photo of a llano representing the municipal arms). Such llanos are now also used to decorate the inside parts of the houses and the squares and public parks of the village. Some 300 llanos have been recorded, the oldest dating back to the 19th century.
Ivan Sache, 31 August 2016
The flag and arms of Linares de la Sierra, adopted on 23 December 1994 and, eventually, on 5 April 1996, by the Municipal Council, are prescribed by Decree No. 313, adopted on 25 June 1996 by the Government of Andalusia and published on 10 August 1996 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 92, p. 9,488 (text). This was confirmed by a Resolution adopted on 30 November 2004 by the Government of Andalusia and published on 20 December 2004 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 246, pp. 28,986-29,002 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular, in proportions 11 x 18, made of a panel horizontally divided in the center, the upper stripe, flag green, and the lower stripe, reseda yellow. Charged in the center with the municipal coat of arms.
Coat of arms: Spanish shield. Vert a flax plant eradicated or flory of three of the same botony sable placed 2 and 1. The shield surmounted by a Spanish crown closed.
The symbols, designed form scratch on 26 September 1994 by Juan José Antequera, were validated on 26 October 1995 by the Royal Academy of Córdoba.
The Academy pointed out "a certain lack of definition" in the colours of the flag, simply described as "green and yellow", highlighting the wide range of shades of colours used in vexillology, as opposed to heraldry. The Academy pointed out that the flax plant that makes the arms canting (linares, "places where flax is grown") has to be described more precisely to permit as little license as possible to the artists representing the arms, and, therefore, to prevent the emergence of different versions of the arms. The plant should be described as "eradicated", that is, with visible roots. The number of flowers has to be specified.
The description of the symbols was completed as required in the description eventually adopted by the Municipal Council.
[Juan José Antequera. Principios de transmisibilidad en las heráldicas officiales de Sevilla, Córdoba y Huelva]
Ivan Sache, 31 August 2016