Last modified: 2019-06-25 by ivan sache
Keywords: cumbres de san bartolomé |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Cumbres de San Bartolomé - Image from the Símbolos de Huelva website, 21 August 2016
The municipality of Cumbres de San Bartolomé (421 inhabitants in 2015; 14,500 ha) is located 140 km north of Huelva on the border with Extremadura (Province of Badajoz). The village is crossed by the old Royal Transhumance Road, which connects the three villages of Cumbres Mayores, Cumbres de San Bartolomé, and Cumbres de Enmedio.
Ivan Sache, 21 August 2016
The flag and arms of Cumbres de San Bartolomé, adopted on 3 October 1995 by the Municipal Council, are prescribed by Decree No. 202, adopted on 14 May 1996 by the Government of Andalusia and published on 18 July 1996 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 82, pp. 8,258-8,259 (text). This was confirmed by a Resolution adopted on 30 November 2004 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 20 December 2004 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 246, pp. 28,986-29,002 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular, in proportions 11 x 18, made of five parallel stripes perpendicular to the hoist, the first and the fifth, blue, 1/8 of the flag's width, the second and the fourth, white, 1/8 of the flag's width, and the third, or central, yellow, 1/2 of the flag's width. Charged in the center with the local coat of arms.
Coat of arms: Spanish shield. Azure two towers argent masoned and port and windows sable connected by a single-arched bridge argent standing on two rocks or issuant from the base and surmounted by two lions rampant affronty of the same the bridge surmounted by a sword of the same. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
The symbols were proposed on 25 June 1995 by Juan José Antequera.
Since the late 19th century, the municipality has been using an ink seal, "Azure two towers argent [sometimes or] standing on two rocks proper connected by a single-arched bridge argent and surmounted by two lions rampant affronty proper. A bordure dimitiated charged with nine fleurs-de-lis or the one in base surrounded by four letters 'F'. The shield placed on a cartouche and surmounted by a Royal crown closed."
The fleurs-de-lis, the letters, the cartouche and the crown are modern additions. Of French profile, the four Fs are locally identified as "Fe" (Faith), "Fidelidad" (Loyalty), "Franqueza" (Frankness), and "Fortaleza" (Strength). The additions were copied from the arms of the neighbouring village of Cumbres Mayores - or the additions to the arms of Cumbres Mayores were copied from the arms of Cumbres de San Bartolomé.
A seal dated 1488, inscribed with "Conceio de las Cumbres de San Bartolomé del Puerto" portrays St. Bartholomew sitting on a ceremonial chair placed on a rock, holding in the right hand a crozier or a staff and the left hand on the breasts, adextered with a tree. Seals dated 1498 and 1499, bearing the same writing, feature two towers standing on rocks, connected by a bridge superimposed with a knife and ensigned by two lions rampant affronty. The modern arms were derived from the latter seals, with the omission of the knife.
The towers separated by the ravine but connected by the bridge could represent the kingdoms of Spain and Portugal, separated by cultural differences but connected by a common history, at least for some periods. There were once two fortresses in the neighbourhood; the lions affronty increase the symbol of defence. The sword is the attribute of St. Bartolomew, as his martyr's tool.
[Juan José Antequera. Principios de transmisibilidad en las heráldicas officiales de Sevilla, Córdoba y Huelva]
Ivan Sache, 21 August 2016