This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Salar (Municipality, Andalusia, Spain)

Last modified: 2015-10-18 by ivan sache
Keywords: salar |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Salar - Image from the Símbolos de Granada website, 20 May 2014

See also:

Presentation of Salar

The municipality of Salar (2,803 inhabitants in 2007; 8,560 ha; municipal website) is located 80 km west of Granada.
The name of the town probabaly alludes to saltworks, once common in the western part of the province. The traditional origin of Salar is related to the conquest of a Muslim fortress by Hernán Perez del Pulgar on 30 May 1486, during the siege of Loja. Perez was indeed appointed Mayor of the place by the Catholic Monarchs in 1490 and commissioned to resettle the area. Salar seceded from Loja, as an independent municipality, in 1817.

Ivan Sache, 29 June 2009

Symbols of Salar

The flag of Salar, adopted on 27 April 2009 by the Municipal Council and submitted on 29 April 2009 to the Directorate General of the Local Administration, is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 12 May 2009 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 2 June 2009 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 104, p. 55 (text).
The flag is described as follows:

Flag: Rectangle, in proportions 2:3 (hoist to length), divided into two horizontal stripes of equal size, the upper green and the lower red. In the middle, the municipal coat of arms.

The coat of arms of Salar is prescribed by Decree No. 1,307 adopted on 20 July 1974 by the the Spanish Government of Andalusia and published on 19 August 1974 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 198, p. 17,126 (text). This was confirmed by a Decree adopted on 30 November 2004 by the Government of Andalusia and published on 20 December 2004 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 246, pp. 28,986-29,002 (text).
The coat of arms, validated by the Royal Academy of History, is described as follows:

Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Vert a castle or masoned sable port and windows gules, 2. Per pale gules and azure, grafted in base argent a lion rampant gules crowned or raising a banner argent inscribed with "Ave María" sable, a bordure gules charged with eight castles or. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown.

The castle recalls the Pérez de Pulgar, first Marquis of Salar, whose arms are shown in the second quarter of the municipal coat of arms.
[Símbolos de las Entidades Locales de Andalucía. Granada (PDF file)]

Ivan Sache, 27 June 2009