Last modified: 2017-02-18 by ivan sache
Keywords: láchar |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Láchar - Image from the Símbolos de Granada website, 15 May 2014
The municipality of Láchar (3,260 inhabitants in 2014; 1,312 ha) is located 20 km west of Granada. The municipality is made of the town of Láchar and of the village of Peñuelas (697 inh.).
The castle of Láchar was rebuilt at the end of the 19th century by Julio Quesada y Cañaveral, Count of Benalúa de las Villas, made Duke of San Pedro Galatino and Grandee of Spain on 5 February by King Alfonso XIII. From 1906 to 1917, the Duke organized several Royal hunting parties in Láchar (chronicle).
The last hunting party, organized in January 1917, was quite hectic. The Royal train experienced an attempt of sabotage, censored in the news; the Representative Prieto revealed at the Cortes that an envoy of Kaiser Wilhelme II had been invited to the party, thus breaking the neutrality of Spain in the conflict. It was insinuated that the Duke had favoured the invitation; its personal enemy, the Count of Romanones, President of the Chamber of Ministers, took the opportunity to impose his veto to any future Royal hunting in Láchar. The Valencia-born painter Joaquín Sorolla (1863-1923), famous for his paintings of the Granada landscapes (Granada Hoy, 4 October 2011), was a less controversial guest of the last hunting party. He painted there a famous view of the chapel of the castle decorated for the Royal visit (Capilla de la finca de Lachar, Granada, Museo Sorolla, Madrid [technical description]).
The castle of Láchar was acquired in October 2014, for 250,000 euros, by the Mexican businessman Salvador Diego Alonso Rivera Cortina, after the municipality had declined to exert its pre-emptive right (Grznada Hoy, 9 October 2014).
Ivan Sache, 21 May 2014
The flag of Láchar (photo, photo) is vertically divided yellow-green with the municipal coat of arms in the middle.
The coat of arms of Láchar is "Per pale, 1. Vert a castle proper on waves argent and azure ensigned by a crescent argent, 2. Or three stems vert in pale charged with three maize cobs. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
[Símbolos de Granada website]
Ivan Sache & Klaus-Michael Schneider, 15 May 2014