Last modified: 2015-10-18 by ivan sache
Keywords: dehesas de guadix |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Dehesas de Guadix - Image by Ivan Sache, 1 August 2009
The municipality of Dehesas de Guadix (516 inhabitants in 2008; 7,200 ha; municipal website) is located on the border with the Province of Jaén, 120 km north-east of Granada.
The name of the municipality (lit., "Guadix Pasture") appeared in 1888, but the area was already settled in prehistoric times, as proved by the remains excavated in the place called Terrera del Reloj. The settlement and the necropolis, made of 17 tombs including ceramics, pottery and bronze weapons, dates back to the Algar Culture.
In the Moorish times, the village was significant during the rule of Muhammed XIII El Zagal (The Valiant), King of Granada in 1485-1486. El Zagal sold some of his territories to King Ferdinand in 1489, which were transferred to the Bishopric of Guadix. In the 16-17th centuries, the area was used as a pasture for horses, therefore the name given later to the village. José Requena purchased in 1840 the estate of Dehesas. The municipality eventually seceded from Alicún de Ortega at a yet disputed date.
Ivan Sache, 1 August 2009
The flag and arms of Dehesas de Guadix, adopted on 14 July 2004 by the Municipal Council and submitted on 15 July 2004 to the Directorate General of the Local Administration, are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 28 April 2004 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 9 August 2004 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 155, pp. 17,702-17,703 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular flag, in proportions 2:3, made of two equal horizontal stripes, the upper yellow and the lower green, with two triangles superimposed, blue on white, which have a common side at hoist and reach the horizontal axis of the flag at 1/3 and 1/2 of the flag's length, respectively.
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Argent a mound vert charged with a cave dwelling argent port and windows gules, 2. Or three olive trees eradicated vert placed 2 and 1. Grafted in base, wavy argent and azure. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown closed.
The cave dwelling recalls the great number of such structures in the region. The olive trees represent the agricultural resources. The waves symbolize the rivers and brooks that water the municipal territory.
[Símbolos de las Entidades Locales de Andalucía. Granada (PDF file)]
Ivan Sache, 1 July 2009