Last modified: 2015-02-16 by ivan sache
Keywords: puerto del rosario |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Puerto del Rosario, as seen on 4 February 2014 on the Town Hall - Image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 13 February 2014
Puerto del Rosario is the capital of Fuerteventura. It was known until 1956 as Puerto de Cabras ("Port of the Goats"). The municipality is made of the villages of Puerto del Rosario, Casillas del Ángel (an independent municipality until 1926), Tetir (an independent municipality until 1925) and La Asomada.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 13 February 2014
The flag of Puerto del Rosario is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 14 March 2006 by the Government of the Canary Islands and published on 17 March 2006 in the official gazette of the Canary Islands, No. 54, pp. 5,270-5,271 (text). The flag was initially adopted on 25 April 2005 by the Municipal Council and validated on 7 March 2006 by the Heraldry Commission of the Autonomous Community of the Canary Islands.
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular panel [...] in proportions 2:3, made of a Bordeaux red equilateral triangle placed along the hoist and reaching the first third of the panel, and of two equal horizontal stripes [...] the upper white and the lower blue. In the middle of the flag is placed the municipal coat of arms.
On the flag in actual use, the coat of arms is placed over the intersection of the three fields, while it isplaced in the middle of the horizontal stripes on the drawing appended to the Decree.
According to José Manuel Erbez (Banderas y escudos de Canarias, 2007; website), red symbolizes the land, blue the sea. and white purity and the sea's foam.
The coat of arms of Puerto del Rosario is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 24 March 1986 by the Government of the Canary Islands and published on 9 April 1988 in the official gazette of the Canary Islands, No. 41, p. 871 (text). The coat of arms was initially adopted on 6 March 1986 by the Municipal Council.
The coat of arms, validated by the Royal Academy of History, is described as follows:
Coat of arms:. Per fess, 1a. Argent three fesses checky gules and or charged with a barrulet or, 1b. Or a goat passant proper, 2. Azure a boat or. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
According to José Manuel Erbez (Banderas y escudos de Canarias, 2007; website), the 1st quarter is taken from the arms of the Saavedra; various members of this family were rulers of Fuerteventura. The 2nd quarter alludes to the former name of the municipality and to the goat stock that was the main source of income for the island for centuries. The 3rd field symbolizes the significance of the port for the municipality and the island.
Klaus-Michael Schneider & Ivan Sache, 13 February 2014