Last modified: 2019-10-17 by ivan sache
Keywords: vara de rey |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Vara de Rey - Image by "Asqueladd", Wikimedia Commons, 23 July 2019
The municipality of Vara de Rey (501 inhabitants in 2018 vs. 2,207 in 1950; 12,788 ha; municipal website) is located 100 km south of Cuenca and 70 km north-west of Albacete. The municipality is made of the village of Vara de Rey and of the nearly deserted hamlets of Villar de Cantos and El Simarro.
Vara de Rey is first documented in Philip II's Relaciones, dated 1575,
which report that "the village was hold by the Moors who were expelled
during the Reconquest". The today's borough named La Morería could have
been the original, Moorish nucleus.
Vara de Rey belonged to San Clemente, itself ran from Alarcón, for two centuries. King John II and Prince Henry granted the status of villa to San Clemente, which was subsequently incorporated to the Marquisate of Villena. In permanent conflict with San Clemente, Vara de Rey was granted the status of villa on 24 March 1537 by Charles V.
Ivan Sache, 23 July 2019
The flag of Vara de Rey (photo) is prescribed by an Order issued on 13 August
1998 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and published on 21 August
1998 in the official gazette of Castilla-La Mancha, No. 38, p. 6,463 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular panel, in proportions 7:12, crimson with the coat of arms of Vara de Rey, surmounted by a Spanish Royal crown closed, in the center.
The Royal Academy of History rejected the originally proposed flag.
Since the municipality has a coat of arms validated by the Royal Academy of History, it is not appropriate to feature on the flag different heraldic emblems, here those of the Sandoval lineage. A municipal flag shall be either a simple color combination, independent from the heraldic system, or the faithful reproduction of the totality or the essence of the coat of arms of the place. Otherwise, the place would have two different heraldic emblems.
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia 195:2, 368. 1998]
The coat of arms of Vara de Rey is prescribed by Decree No. 149 issued
on 1 December 1987 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and published
on 9 December 1987 in the official gazette of Castilla-La Mancha, No.
57, p. 3,046 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Azure a town made of three fesses of four houses argent superimposed by the monogram of Charles I. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
Ivan Sache, 23 July 2019