This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Santa María de los Llanos (Municipality, Castilla-La Mancha, Spain)

Last modified: 2019-10-14 by ivan sache
Keywords: santa maría de los llanos |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Santa María de los Llanos - Image by Ivan Sache, 2 July 2019

See also:

Presentation of Santa María de los Llanos

The municipality of Santa María de Los Llanos (688 inhabitants in 2016; 4,256 ha; municipal website) is located 120 km south-west of Cuenca.

Santa María de Los Llanos emerged around a well. The Arab rule is recalled by the original name of the village, Pueblo del Aljibe, from al-yibb, "a well". The Arab settlement has yielded numerous remains, such as vases, tiles, millstones, and funerary steles. The local tradition says that the village was transferred in 1290 to the place where a farmer had found a small statue of the Virgin while plowing a field in Los Llanos (lit., The Plains), and renamed to Santa María de Los Llanos. The oldest parts of the parish church indeed date back to the 13th century.
Santa María de Los Llanos was re-settled by the Order of Saint James; Master Lorenzo Suárez chartered the village in 1387 and placed it under the rule of the Royal Convent of Saint James in Uclès.

Ivan Sache, 2 July 2019

Symbols of Santa María de los Llanos

The flag (photo, photo) and arms of Santa María de Los Llanos are prescribed by an Order issued on 5 September 1991 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and published on 11 September 1991 in the official gazette of Castilla-La Mancha, No. 69, p. 3,180 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: The proposed flag is rectangular, blue with a white horizontal stripe (its proportions are not specified). Charged in the center with the crowned municipal coat of arms.
Coat of arms: Quarterly, 1. Gules a vase argent with lilies, 2. and 3. Argent the cross-sword of Saint James gules, 4. Gules a well argent surmounted by a scallop or. The shield surmounted by a Spanish Royal crown.

The arms feature a classic representation of St. Mary, the cross-sword of the Order of Saint James, and the well around which the town thrived. A local legend relates the story of the beautiful daughter of the local Moorish lord, who behaved as a very bad girl. Accordingly, she was sentenced to stay at the bottom of the well until hell freezes, being allowed to leave it only once a year, at St. John's Day, where she can be seen combing her silky hair and dancing in the sun around the well.
[Municipal website]

Ivan Sache, 2 July 2019