Last modified: 2019-10-06 by ivan sache
Keywords: la alberca de záncara |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of La Alberca de Záncara - Image by Ivan Sache, 28 June 2019
The municipality of La Alberca de Záncara (1,590 inhabitants in 2018; 21,240 ha; municipal website) is located 90 km south-west of Cuenca.
La Alberca de Záncara is named, as reported in Philip II's Relaciones,
for a fountain that had been supplying freshwater to the villagers for
ages. The name was coined during the Arab rule, alberca (al birka)
meaning "a water tank." The second part of the town's name refers to
Remains of walls surrounding a fortress were excavated on the Motejón hill. In the Roman times, the road connecting Complutum (Alcála de Henares) to Nova Cartago (Cartagena) crossed the area near a fountain; a settlement might have emerged near this convenient source of freshwater.
After the Christian reconquest, El Alberca was re-settled by colonists
coming from the nearby villages. The Dominican convent of San Ildefonso
de la Alberca was active from 1335 to 8 June 1499.
The poet Jorge Manrique granted the status of villa to the town, separating it from Alarcón; this was confirmed on 20 March 1480 in Toledo by the Catholic Monarchs.
Friar Francisco de la Cruz (1585-1647), member of the Santa Ana Carmelite convent, accomplished from 1643 to 1646 a pilgrimage to Rome, Jerusalem, the Holy Land and Santiago de Compostela, bearing a cross (7.5 kg) on his shoulders and living only from bread and water. The cross, kept by a brotherhood established in 1724, is the patron of the town.
Ivan Sache, 28 June 2019
The flag of La Alberca de Záncara (photo,
photo) is prescribed by an Order issued on 1
September 1992 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and published on
9 September 1992 in the official gazette of Castilla-La Mancha, No. 68,
pp. 4,011-4,012 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular, in proportions 2:3, divided in four parts by the two diagonals, the upper triangle, green, the lower, celestial blue, and the lateral, white. Superimposed in the center with the crowned municipal coat of arms.
The coat of arms of La Alberca de Záncara is prescribed by an Order
issued on 1 September 1992 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and
published on 9 September 1992 in the official gazette of Castilla-La
Mancha, No. 68, p. 4,012 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Or on a base vert a masoned water tank proper filled with water in front of a tree proper. The shield surmounted by a Royal Spanish crown.
The Royal Academy validated the proposed symbols. Ivan Sache, 28 June 2019
Ink seals used in 1876, kept in the National Historic Archives but not mentioned in the memoir supporting the proposed symbols, and the distinguishing emblem of the Mayor of La Alberca de Záncara feature a masoned water tank in front of a tree. The seal of the Municipality was similar, but featured only the tank. Undoubtedly, the tank is the main charge to be considered as distinguishing; most probably, the tree had a mere anecdotal value, and was added to fill the upper part of the oval seal, left vacant by the tank.
It appears appropriate to keep in the modern arms the main charge, of more than centenary tradition, although it not easy to adopt a simple, schematic graphic representation, as imposed by good heraldic style; so a realistic representation is acceptable. The presence of the tree is justified by the same rationale as on the aforementioned seal.
The proposed graphic representation is not acceptable. The walls of the tank have to emerge from the surrounding soil, represented by the base [indeed, not represented].
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia, 189:2, 347. 1992]
Ivan Sache, 28 June 2019