Last modified: 2019-10-19 by ivan sache
Keywords: torre de juan abad |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Torre de Juan Abad - Image by Ivan Sache, 8 June 2019
The municipality of Torre de Juan Abad (1,139 inhabitants in 2014, 39,973 ha; municipal website) is located 120 km south-east of Ciudad Real.
Torre de Juan Abad was established in 1214, following the seizure of the
castle of Eznaxerove / Torres de Xoray, whose remains can be seen in El
Estrecho de las Torres. On 7 May 1214, King Alfonso VIII transferred the
reconquered area to the Order of Saint James.
The most famous lord of the place was Francisco de Quevedo y Villegas (1580-1645); his lineage would rule the domain of Quevedo until the suppression of the feudal system. Quevedo, among the most significant writers of he Spanish Golden Age, has remained famous for his personal and literary rivalry with Luis de Góngora (1561-1627) and for his troubled involvement in the political affairs of the kingdom.
The parish church of Torre de Juan Abad keeps an historical organ built in 1763 by Gaspar de la Redonda Zevallos, ranked among the ten best preserved organs in Europe.
Ivan Sache, 8 June 2019
The flag and arms of Torre de Juan Abad are prescribed by an Order
issued on 16 September 2013 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and
published on 27 September 2013 in the official gazette of Castilla-La
Mancha, No. 188, p. 26,111 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular panel in proportions 2:3, made of three equal vertical stripes, the first, white with a red tower, the second, blue with three yellow fleurs-de-lis, and the third white with a red Cross of St. James.
Coat of arms: Argent a lion gules accosted to a tower of the same in chief a five-pointed star azure. A bordure gules charged with eight saltires or [Crown not mentioned].
The symbols were inaugurated on 7 May 2014, during the celebration of
the 800th anniversary of the establishment of the town. On the arms, the
castle represents Castile, the Cross of St. James recalls the foundation
of the town, and the three fleurs-de-lis are taken form the arms of the
[Province of Ciudad Real website]
This is a "rehabilitation" of the coat of arms "of immemorial use".
[Ramón José Maldonado y Cocat. 1973. Heráldica municipal de la provincia de Ciudad Real. Cuadernos de Estudios Manchegos 4, 84-109]
Ivan Sache, 8 June 2019