Last modified: 2019-09-14 by ivan sache
Keywords: san carlos del valle |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of San Carlos del Valle - Image by "Erlenmeyer", Wikimedia Commons, 5 June 2019
The municipality of San Carlos del Valle (1,211 inhabitants in 2014; 5,788 ha) is located 80 km east of Ciudad Real.
San Carlos del Valle was established as part of the Plan of Interior
Colonization decided by King Charles III. Designed by Superintendent
Pablo Olavide, the town is organized according to a regular lattice
centered on the Plaza Mayor (53 m x 21 m). The Plaza, the church of the
Santísimo Cristo del Valle (rebuilt from 1723 to 1739) and the Hospital
(built in 1704) are locally known as "Little Vatican" or "Mancha's Vatican".
San Carlos del Valle was granted the status of villa on 15 December 1800 by Charles IV.
San Carlos del Valle is the birth place of the most famous football
supporter ever, Manuel Cáceres Artesero (b. 1949), known in Spain as
Manolo "el del Bombo" (drum's man) for his bass drum (bombo), and,
internationally as Manolo. Manolo's legend started in 1982, during the
World Cup organized in Spain; he subsequently attended all the matches
of the Spanish national team until 2010, when pneumonia forced him to
leave South Africa earlier than expected. For the first time in 28
years, he had to watch a match of the national team on TV, in the famous
bar-museum he owns in Valencia.
[Official website; ABC, 26 October 2014]
Ivan Sache, 5 June 2019
The flag of San Carlos del Valle is prescribed by an Order issued on 16
August 2010 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and published on 27
August 2010 in the official gazette of Castilla-La Mancha, No. 166, p.
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular panel, in proportions 2:3, made of two equal vertical stripes. At hoist, blue with a white cross, at fly, white with a red Cross of St. James.
The coat of arms of San Carlos del Valle is prescribed by an Order
issued on 15 November 1995 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and
published on 24 November 1995 in the official gazette of Castilla-La
Mancha, No. 57, p. 6,108 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Azure the church of Santo Cristo argent, 2. Argent a Cross of St. James gules. Grafted in base or a bunch of grapes vert. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
The Royal Academy of History rejected the proposed coat of arms. The
picturesque representation of the Santísimo Cristo del Valle is not
acceptable, and should be replaced by a more generic design. Moreover,
the Cross of St. James was used as their symbol by the knights of the
Order, but not by the Order itself, which featured on its standards a
cross flory charged with scallops, as evidenced by a wide array of sources.
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia 193:1, 186. 1996]
Ivan Sache, 5 June 2019