Last modified: 2019-09-14 by ivan sache
Keywords: poblete |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Poblete - Image by Ivan Sache, 2 June 2019
The municipality of Poblete (2,571 inhabitants in 2018; 2,782 ha; municipal website) is located 10 km south-west of Ciudad Real.
Poblete was originally known as Poblet, a diminutive form of pueblo,
"a village". The area was first settled in the Bronze Age; the village
established on the western part of the Alarcos hill watched the valley
of river Guadiana and the roads to Andalusia and Levante. During the transition to the first Iron Age, in the 9th century BC, the village
increased to the whole hill. The Oretanian culture thrived in Alarcos in
the 5th century BC; in the 4th-3rd centuries, the population
dramatically increased and the area previously assigned to a necropolis
was covered with dwellings; those rectangular houses, built on a stone
base, with adobe walls and plant roofs, were organized along streets
paved with quartzite and dolomite flagstones.
Six tumuli and a necropolis were recently excavated in Alarcos, yielding human bones and a complete tomb with an urn and a sickle as funerary furniture.
The medieval town of Alarcos was built before 1195, on the remains of the Iberian town, stretching over 33 ha and surrounded by a thick wall of 3 m in width. After its abandon, the town was used as a stone quarry to build Villa Real (Ciudad Real). Only a small part of Alarcos has been excavated, a secondary gate included.
The disaster of Alarcos, fought in 1195 near the hill, put a temporary
end to the Christian reconquest. The Almohad riders and bowmen, led by
Abu Yahya, defeated the Christian army commanded by Alfonso VIII, who
had to withdraw to Toledo. The commander of his troops, López de Haro, surrendered near the village and was released against a ransom. Sancho Fernández de Lemos, the 3rd Master of the Order of Saint James, and
Pedro Rodríguez de Guzmán, the King's Mayordomo Mayor, were killed
during the battle.
In the aftermath of the loss of the castle of Salvatierra, which protected the valley of Tagus and access to Toledo, in 1211, Alfonso VIII called the Christian rulers for help. Encouraged by Pope Innocent III, knights from Aragón and other parts of Europe joined the "crusade". The Christian army left Toledo on 19 July 1212, soon seizing the fortresses of Malagón, Calatrava, Alarcos and Caracuel. Joined by 200 riders sent by Sancho of Navarre, the Christians eventually defeated the Moors in Las Navas de Tolosa on 16 July 1212.
Ivan Sache, 2 June 2019
The flag of Poblete (photo,
photo) is prescribed by an Order issued on 25 February 1997 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and published on 7 March 1997 in the official gazette of Castilla-La Mancha, No. 10, p. 1,115 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular panel, white, in proportions 2:3, with a blue stripe on the edges and the crowned coat of arms in the center.
The coat of arms of Poblete is prescribed by an Order issued on 25
February 1997 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and published on 7
March 1997 in the official gazette of Castilla-La Mancha, No. 10, p. 1,115 (text).
. The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Tierced per pale, 1. and 3. Azure three houses gules in pale, 2. Gules a castle or port and windows sable in chief a Greek cross argent in base a crescent reverted of the same. The shield surmounted by a Spanish Royal crown.
Ivan Sache, 2 June 2019