Last modified: 2020-11-14 by ivan sache
Keywords: jaraíz de la vera |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Jaraíz de la Vera - Image by Ivan Sache, 21 March 2020
The municipality of Jaraíz de la Vera (6,478 inhabitants in 2019; 6,252 ha; municipal website) is located 110 km north-east of Cáceres and 40 km east of Plasencia.
Jaraíz de la Vera was already settled in the Prehistoric times, as evidenced by the tumulus of La Macolla and La Rada, the latter being locally known as the Moor's Tomb. Stone axes were also found, as well as a isomorphic sculpture representing a typical Celtiberian verraco. The same site yielded remains of a Roman pottery workshop. In the Dehesa Boyal are found ruins of an old chapel dedicated to St. Benedict; the site is of Roman origin, as evidenced by coins featuring Emperor Constantine the Great (4th century).
The castle of Jaraíz de la Vera was probably built by the Moors in the 8th century. The original name of he place was probably Sha'ra'-hisn / Sarahiz / Xarahiz, a name built on sha'ra, "a rockrose" and hisn, "a castle", therefore "a castle surrounded by rockroses".
Jaraíz de la Vera is first documented in a Bull signed in 1217 by Pope Honorius III, which allows Jiménez de Rada, Archbishop of Toledo, to erect a church in the village, then one of the ten settlements forming the sexmo (administrative division) of La Vera, part of the Land of Plasencia.
Jaraíz de la Vera was granted the status of villa in 1685.
Ivan Sache, 21 March 2020
The flag (photo,
photo) and arms of Jaraíz de la Vera, adopted on 28 November 1996 by the Municipal Council and validated on 16 July 1997 by the Assessing Council of Honors and Distinctions of the Government of Extremadura, are prescribed by an Order issued on 26 September 1997 by the Government of Extremadura and published on 6 November 1997 in the official gazette of Extremadura, No. 129, pp. 7,675-7,676 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular, in proportions 2:3. Composed of three equal vertical stripes, green at hoist, yellow in the center and blue at hoist. The central stripe charged with the municipal coat of arms.
Coat of arms: Azure a tower or masoned sable on a base vert ensigned by a banner gules surrounded by two wolves sable. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
Ivan Sache, 20 March 2020