Last modified: 2019-01-13 by ivan sache
Keywords: tinieblas de la sierra |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Tinieblas de la Sierra - Image by Ivan Sache, 9 March 2015
The municipality of Tinieblas de la Sierra (39 inhabitants in 2014; 2,938 ha; municipal website) is located in the south-east of the Province of Burgos, 40 km of Burgos. The municipality is made of the villages of Tinieblas and Tañabueyes (21 inh.).
Tinieblas (lit., "clouds") is located on the western slope of the
Sierra de la Demanda, which was incorporated to the Kingdom of Castile
in the early 10th century. The town was most probably established or
re-established by Count of Castile Gonzalo Ferná:ndez, being one of the 66 villages that formed the alfoz (group of villages) of Lara.
Tinieblas was part of the domains transferred by Gonzalo Ferná:ndez to the San Pedro de Cardeña Benedictine monastery, a donation which was confirmed on 1 December 1193 by Alfonso VIII. For an unknown reason, the village was transferred on 5 November 1220 by Ferdinand the Saint to the Royal Cistercian monastery of Las Huelgas in Burgos, a transfer which was confirmed on 17 February 1292 by Sancho IV. Tinieblas is listed as a rich hunting place in Alfonso XI's Libro de la Montería.
The region was granted in the 16th century to the Dukes of Frías, Counts of Haro and Constables of Castile. Tinieblas appears to have been incorporated to their domain in 1616. The villagers subsequently purchased municipal autonomy from the king, reverting to their original status of realengo.
Ivan Sache, 9 March 2015
The flag of Tinieblas de la Sierra (municipal website) is described in the supporting memoir as follows:
Flag: Quadrangular, with three equal vertical stripes, green, white and blue. In the heart of the flag is placed the municipal coat of arms
The coat of arms of Tinieblas de la Sierra (municipal website) is described in the supporting memoir as follows:
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Gules a mount argent charged with a tree fructed with acorns or in chief a tower or, 2a. The arms of the Cistercian Order (Azure a semy of fleurs-de-lis or) three cotices or, 2b. Vert a sheep passant. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown closed.
The 1st quarter represents the high-elevated, mountainous environment
of the village and one of the main sources of income for the
villagers: the trees provide wood, charcoal and acorns to feed cattle
and wild animals, whose hunting is recalled in the Libro de la
Montería. The tower recalls the Reconquest and the first re-settlement of Castile.
The 2nd quarter recalls the peaceful rule of the Cistercian Order, exerted by the famous abbess of the Royal monastery of Las Huelgas in Burgos.
The 3rd quarter alludes to the natural environment and economy, based on sheep breeding, featuring the local sheep stock. This also recalls the rule of the Constables of Castile, who owned a lot of cattle.
Ivan Sache, 9 March 2015