Last modified: 2016-04-09 by ivan sache
Keywords: sarracín |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Sarracín - Image by "Erlenmeyer" (Wikimedia Commons), 5 March 2015
The municipality of Sarracín ((260 inhabitants in 2014; 961 ha; municipalwebsite) is located 10 km from Burgos.
Sarracínwas first mentioned on a donation dated 23 January 963.
Bishop Sarrazino and Deacon Sarrazino transferred to Mancio, Abbott of
San Pedro de Carde&ntidel;a, their small family monastery of Santa María, located in flumine Kabia, locum que vocitant Villa de Sarrazino (on river Cavia, in a place called villa Sarrazino).
A castle or a tower, erected in the 15th century on the mound located
in the center of the village, is mentioned by medieval sources as
castriel or castrillo of Sarracín. The village was part of the Jurisdiction of Saldañuela, ran by the Marquis of Lazán. In 1496, Bernardino de Velasco, 2nd Constable of Castile, purchased the Saldañuela estate; Isabel de Osorio, Dame of Salda–uela, built in 1556 the Saldañuela manor, close to the old tower.
As opposed to several villages in the province, Sarrac’n recently experienced an increase in its population, due to its proximity with Burgos.
Ivan Sache, 5 March 2015
The flag and arms of Sarracín are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 13 March 2002 by the Municipal Council, signed on 9 October 2002 by the
Mayor, and published on 21 October 2002 in the official gazette of
Castilla y León, No. 204, p. 13,865 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Quadrangular, 1:1. White field. At 1 an horizontal red stripe of 1/10 in height, a blue stripe of the same height at 1 from the lower edge of the flag, and a central yellow stripe of 2/10 in height. In the heart of the flag is placed the municipal coat of arms.
Coat of arms: Per fess, 1. Or an eagle sable displayed holding in its claws a wheel of commerce, 2. Vert St. Peter's keys and tiara surmounted by the Cross of the Trinitarian Order, a cross gules and azure. Grafted in base argent a fess wavy azure. A bordure gules four towers or. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown closed.
The flag in use (photo, Town Hall) is in proportions 2:3 instead of the prescribed 1:1.
Ivan Sache, 5 March 2015mailme.html