Last modified: 2019-01-13 by ivan sache
Keywords: santa maría del campo |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Santa María del Campo - Image from the Escudos y Banderas de la Provincia de Burgos website, 25 February 2014
The municipality of Santa María del Campo (652 inhabitants in 2010; 6,032 ha) is located 40 km of Burgos.
Santa María del Campo has one of the biggest collegiate churches (13th-18th centuries) in the Province of Burgos. The most famous of the several artworks kept in the church is the altarpiece's panel painted by Pedro Berruguete and another, unknown artist. Berruguete (c. 1450-1504) is one of the four "Eagles" of the Spanish Renaissance. Trained by Fernando Gallego, Berruguete worked from 1474 to 1483 in Urbino at the court of Federico da Montelfeltro. Back to Spain, he stayed at the court of the Catholic Monarchs and specialized in religious works; he could not finish the altarpiece of the main altar of the Ávila Cathedral.
Ivan Sache, 10 March 2011
The flag and arms of Santa María del Campo are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 26 May 2000 by the Municipal Council, signed on 31 May 2000 by the Mayor, and published on 25 September 2000 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 186, p. 11,823 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Quadrangular flag, with proportions 1:1, yellow with a black diagonal stripe running from the upper hoist to the lower fly. In the middle of the flag is placed the crowned municipal coat of arms of Santa María del Campo.
Coat of arms: Per fess, 1. Or a bend sable, 2. Gules a wall or masoned sable terraced vert with three towers each with a port sable. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown or as shown on drawing No. 5 of the memoir.
Flag proposed by the Royal Academy of History - Image by Ivan Sache, 4 March 2015
The Royal Academy of History validated the proposed coat of arms but
recommended to omit it from the flag, which should be a banner of the
upper field of the arms.
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia, 2002, 199, 3: 449-450]
Ivan Sache, 4 March 2015