This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Merindad de Cuesta Urría (Municipality, Castilla y León, Spain)

Last modified: 2019-01-13 by ivan sache
Keywords: merindad de cuesta urría | cebolleros |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

See also:

Presentation of Merindad de Cuesta Urría

The municipality of Merindad de Cuesta Urría (366 inhabitants in 2015; 12,197ha; municipal website) is located 80 km of Burgos. The municipality is formed of the 13 submunicipal entities of Baillo, Cebolleros (21 inh. in 2011), Extramiana, Mijangos, Nofuentes (capital), Paralacuesta, Pradolamata, Quintanalacuesta, Quintanilla-Montecabezas, San Crist—bal de Almendres, Urria, Villapanillo, and Villavedeo.

Ivan Sache, 15 February 2015

Submunicipal entity of Cebolleros

Cebolleros was first mentioned, as Cepolleros, in a document of the San Millán de la Cogolla monastery dated 1007. The village was subsequently transferred to the San Salvador de Oña monastery.
The Las Cuevas castle (presentation; photos), of neo-medieval style, was erected in Cebolleros by Serafín Villarán (d. 1998). Starting in 1978, Villarán built the castle from scratch, using only pebbles once brought by river Nela. His sons and his nephew, Txema López, still work to the achievement of the castle.

The flag and arms of Cebolleros, approved on 15 August 2000 by the Village Council, are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 8 February 2001 by the Government of the Province of Burgos, signed on 15 February 2001 by the President, and published on 28 February 2001 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 42, p. 3,354 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: Quadrangular Castilian flag, tierced in base vert with three onions or and a white field.
Coat of arms: Argent a castle gules port and windows or in base vert three onions or in fess. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown closed.

The onions (cebollas) make the flag and arms canting.

Ivan Sache, 15 February 2015