This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Monasterio de Rodilla (Municipality, Castilla y León, Spain)

Last modified: 2019-01-13 by ivan sache
Keywords: monasterio de rodilla |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag]         [Flag]

Flag of Monasterio de Rodilla, left, as prescribed, right, as used - Images by Ivan Sache, 15 January 2011

See also:

Presentation of Monasterio de Rodilla

The municipality of Monasterio de Rodilla (200 inhabitants in 2009; 3,714 ha; municipal website) is located in the center of the Province of Burgos, 25 km of Burgos.

Monasterio de Rodilla, according to some historians, was built on the site of the pre-Roman town of Tritium, said to be the capital of the mysterious Turmodigi people. A document dated 71 AD mentions a place called Rodilla, built by a magistrate named Alon, probably the same Alon who founded what is today the village of Villalón de Campos (Valladolid Province).

The origin of the Benedictine monastery (history) that gave its name to the village is obscure, due to the lack of early historical documents; the monastery must have been founded at the end of the 6th century. The monastery and a companion village are mentioned in a document dated 934; the monastery subsequently appeared under different names, such as Senoso, Santa María de Villafenoso, Santa María de Villa Senoso, Santa María de la Nava Fenosa, Santa María de la Valle... Once independent, the monastery was taken over in the early 11th century by Count Sancho García, interested in the fortress owned by the monastery (mentioned for the first time in 1221 but built much earlier). In 1011, the Count incorporated the Rodilla monastery to the newly founded San Salvador de Oña monastery, which was confirmed in 1063 by Pope Alexander III. At the time, the two monasteries ruled the whole area, their power being increased by several donations by the Counts, subsequently Kings, of Castile. In 1276, the village of Monasterio de Rodilla was granted to Roy Díaz Carrillo, which indicated that the monastery was extinct.
The Nuestra Seľora del Valle chapel (12th century), located in the village of Santa Marina, is believed to have been the monastery church; it might be the only remaining part of the monastery.

Ivan Sache, 15 January 2011

Symbols of Monasterio de Rodilla

The flag and arms of Monasterio de Rodilla are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 25 September 2002 by the Municipal Council, signed on 9 October 2002 by the Mayor, and published on 4 March 2003 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 43, p. 3,255 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: Quadrangular flag with proportions 1:1, vertically divided into two equal parts, at hoist red and at fly green. In the middle of the flag is placed the municipal coat of arms, with crown.
Coat of arms: Per fess, 1. Gules a castle or masoned sable port and windows azure 2. Vert a cinquefoil argent. The shield surmounted with a Royal Spanish crown.
The flag hoisted on the balcony of the Town Hall (photo) has proportions 2:3 - most probably to match the proportions of the other flags - instead of prescribed 1:1. On this particular flag, the coat of arms does not seem to be placed in the middle of the flag but in the red stripe, its right edge matching the vertical red-green division of the flag.

Ivan Sache, 15 January 2011