Last modified: 2016-04-09 by ivan sache
Keywords: jaramillo de la fuente |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Jaramillo de la Fuente - Image from the Escudos y Banderas de la Provincia de Burgos website, 20 February 2015
The municipality of Jaramillo de la Fuente (52 inhabitants in 2014; 2,156 ha; unofficial website) is located in the south-east of the Province of Burgos, 50 km of Burgos.
Jaramillo de la Fuente once belonged to the monastery of San Pedro de
Arlanza, under the names of Saravello, Exaramiello, Xaramillo de la
Fonte, or Saramel de la Fonte (10th-13th century). The town moved in
1567 from the abadengo to the realengo status (directly ruled by the crown), granted by King Philip II; this status is symbolized by a
pillory erected in the 16th century in Renaissance style. A village
named Jaramillo Mediano (Xaramillo Medianum in Alfoz de Lara) appears
to have existed between Jaramillo de la Fuente and Jaramillo Quemada;
the three villages were named for river Jaramillo that waters them.
In the middle of the 19th century, the village counted 403 inhabitants, whose main source of income was the production of charcoal.
The Romanesque church (11th-12th century) dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin has kept an elegant gallery, one of the biggest and best preserved in the Province of Burgos. The gallery is made of seven arches standing on double columns, with capitals decorated with figures of monsters and fanciful beasts. The church was proclaimed an Historical Monument by Decree No. 133, adopted on 6 June 1991 by the Government of Castilla y León and published on 13 June 1991 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 112 (text).
Ivan Sache, 20 February 2015
The flag of Jaramillo de la Fuente (photo, Town Hall) is vertically divided blue-white-blue with the municipal coat of arms in the center.
Ivan Sache, 20 February 2015mailme.html