Last modified: 2019-08-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: jacob(ernst) | jacob(nordische) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Ernst Jacob, born in 1911, started an apprenticeship in 1928 at Flensburg based shipping company H.P. Vith. In 1945 all the 16 ships but one of the shipping companies in Flensburg had been confiscated as reparations. here remained just the steamer W.C.FROHNE of the Flensburg-Stettiner Dampferlinie Otto Weide. In 1949 Ernst Jacob and Waldemar Nissen led the Flensburger Trampreederei GmbH in a joint venture with Vöge &. Däcker. Its purpose was to supply each Flensburg ship owner with at least one ship.
Jacob left the company in 1955 and established his own company. His first ship was acquired two years later in 1957. The fleet increased up to six vessels until 1966. In the same year Werner Jacob, son of Ernst Jacob, entered the company and changed its legal form in 1967. In 1970 the business was extended from unit loads to bulk shipping, in 1973 also tanker shipping. In 1978 Ernst Jacob resigned and his son, already partner since 1971, became head of the company.
In 1950 Jacob began to rebuild the fleet. Two vessels however were given to Flensburger Schiffsparten-Vereinigung, another local cooperative enterprise. In 1955 he established his own company, first as corresponding ship owner of Duisburger Seetransport GmbH, in 1957 he bought his first own ship. In 1980 Ernst Jacob retired. Meanwhile the company ran 12 vessels. Jacob was followed by his son Werner Jacob, who died tragically in an accident in 1984. In the early 1980ies the company expanded, establishing bulk- tanker- and refrigerator- shipping. Ernst Jacob died in 1989. Since 1996 his grandsons overtook the company, which in 2001 ran 14 vessels, mainly tanker-shipping. In 2000 Jacob Tankschiffahrtsgesellschaft mbH & Co. KG was established in Hamburg , together with Hansa Hamburg Shipping International GmbH & Co and Warburg Bank.
Source: information by Klaus-Peter Bühne
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 26 July 2019
It is a blue flag, divided by a white saltire. In its centre is a white diamond fimbriated blue containing a blue capital "J".
Source: "Deutsche Reedereien und ihre Erkennungszeichen", 2nd ed.; Hamburg; 1956; p.24
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 19 May 2010
In 1975 the Nordische Reederei was established, transporting on first sail potable water in two brand new tankers to Gibraltar, suffering from a drought. The flag had a white field, blue saltire; in center blue diamond, white "N".
Source: Brown's Flags and Funnels Shipping Companies of the World, compiled by J.L. Loughran, Glasgow, 1995 [lgr95]
Jarig Bakker, 29 Aug 2005 and Klaus-Michael Schneider, , 19 May 2010 / 26 July 2019
About Flensburg Stettiner Dampfer Linie Jarig Bakkers conjecture is reconfirmed by Klaus-Peter Bühne, who also shows a blue flag with a red cross patty in his pages.
back to back to X-companies main page click click here