This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Memmingerberg Municipality (Germany)

Gemeinde Memmingerberg, Landkreis Unterallgäu, Bayern

Last modified: 2022-03-12 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: memmingerberg | parted per pale | cross(red) | jar |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Memmingerberg municipal banner]
5:2 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 6 Mar 2022
[Memmingerberg variant banner in use]
5:2 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 6 Mar 2022

See also:

Memmingerberg Municipality

Memmingerberg Banner

Approved is a red-white vertical bicolour (see t image above) but in use is a blue-red one (see t image above). The coat of arms is shifted towards the top.
1) this online catalogue
2) this photo
3) email on 25 September 2016 from Ursula Stetter (local administration) to M. Schmöger
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 6 Mar 2022

Memmingerberg Coat of Arms

Shield parted per pale, at dexter Argent parted by a cross patty Gules, at sinister Azure a jar Argent with cover and arched handle.
The municipality is an eastern appendix of Memmingen City. The village was called Memmingerberg since 1628, but the official name had been simply Berg until 1800. The current name was officially introduced in 1838. The cross patty is taken from the Memmingen city arms and is stressing the close relationships to that Free Imperial City. The Hospital of the Holy Ghost in the city owned large estates in the village since 1320. The city also had the high level cognisance since 1548, which was confirmed in 1749. The jar is representing Künersberg village, nowadays a part of the municipality. The village was acquired in 1741 by the Austrian banker Jakob of Küner (1697 - 1764), who gave the village his name. He discovered soil suitable for the production of chinaware and established a manufacture for faiences, which existed between 1745 and 1768, when the banker went into bankruptcy. Between 1799 and 1803 the village was owned by the Memmingen subdivision of the local hospital. The tinctures blue and white are those of Bayern.
Source: Aegidius Kolb and Manfred Putz: "Wappen im Landkreis Unterallgäu", Mindelheim 1991, pp.114-115
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 6 Mar 2022

In 1980 the local council decided to adopt a municipal banner having a blue and a red stripe. In 1991 the council decided to adopt a new banner having a red and a white stripe, which should be "heraldically correct". The municipality applied for an approval and the banner was approved a bit later (no date given in source). But the new banner has never been bought by the municipality and thus the blue-red bicolours are still in use. The arms were proposed in 1965 and adopted by the local council in 1969 and the municipality applied for an approval. They were finally approved on 1 July 1982 by district governor (Regierungspräsident) of Schwaben.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 6 Mar 2022

back to Unterallgäu cities and municipalities click here