This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

City of Heiligenhafen (Germany)

Stadt Heiligenhafen, Kreis Ostholstein, Schleswig-Holstein

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: heiligenhafen | wall | masoned | houses(6) | fish(4) | flags(2) | nettle leaves(3) | inescutcheon | armorial |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Heiligenhafen flag] 3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 13 Aug 2006
adopted 27 August 1987 See also:

City of Heiligenhafen

Heiligenhafen City Flag

Description of flag:
The ratio is 3:5. It is an armorial flag.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 29 Dec 2012

Heiligenhafen Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
Over blue waves is a red brick wall, masoned silver (= white). Four silver (= white) fish are swimming in the waves. The wall is crowned by a row of six red houses. Two gables are topped by red flags displaying a silver nettle leaf. A red inescutcheon also displaying the nettle leaf is impending the houses.
The arms are based upon an old seal. The existence has been proven in 1355, 1369 and 1380. The number of houses and fish was varying. The arms had been confirmed in the 30ies and 50ies of the 20th century, since then based upon the oldest version of the seal. The arms are in use since the 50ies of the 20th century, obviously without any approval. The city was established between 1249 and 1259 by the counts of Holstein. The city rights are proven at least since 1262. Fish and houses are symbolizing the main business lines: fishery and trading. The three nettle leafs are alluding to the counts of Holstein, the former rulers. The colours are those of Schleswig-Holstein. Source: Reißmann 1997, p.171 and Stadler 1970, p.101

The flag was approved on 27 August 1987. The coat of arms was approved in 1933 by Prussian ministry of interiror. The artist is Wilhelm Horst Lippert from Brunsbüttel.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 29 Dec 2012

back to Ostholstein cities and municipalities click here.